The Giants are unhappy with Pablo Sandoval’s conditioning, dedication

Jun 4, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT

And now the latest development in what has been a more than three-year back and forth between Pablo Sandoval and the Giants over his conditioning:

Baggarly later tweeted that Bochy said the Giants “have enough first basemen,” though that could be Sandoval’s destination if he can’t pick it at third. UPDATE: Here’s a more thorough story from Baggarly at CSNBayArea.com.

Sandoval is still rehabbing from another broken hamate bone, and he has recently found himself in a little hot water too. If he’s letting his conditioning go enough to where his manager is once again mentioning it in public, it’s yet another thing not going well for the Panda.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Do your work Pablo, and you’ll have a solid career.

2. ame123 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This explains the rape allegations.. he was just exercising on Bochy’s orders.

• frobaggins - Jun 4, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Just wanted to clarify I’m the fourth thumbs up but I ment to click thumbs down. Fat fingers are nt suitable for “thumbs up, thumbs down” on an iPad

• purnellmeagrejr - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM

rape ain’t funny – even on a sports board.

3. minimoose763 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM

This is so frustrating, particularly since last year, when he was in good shape, he was one of the best 3B in the NL and made the All-Star team. I think most Giants fans, myself included, hoped that since Pablo had seen the benefit of losing weight and staying fit he would keep it up.

4. aceshigh11 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

That’s some SERIOUS lack of discipline on his part.

He doesn’t realize that he’s got it MADE. He won the lottery in the game of life…he gets to make millions playing a kids’ game, and he’s throwing it away because he can’t stick to a modest diet/exercise regimen.

• blabidibla - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I don’t think he needs a modest plan, but still at his rate he needs to stick to plan.

• biasedhomer - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

True. He definitely has the talent. Conditioning and injury concerns (part of which may be a result of poor conditioning) will cause him to be one of the “what if” players.

5. sportsdrenched.com - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM

It frustrates me anytime someone with talent the rest of us would do something unsavory to get….doesn’t appreciate that talent.

I would think if my huge paycheck & lifestyle was dependant upon my physical ability to do so that I would be doing every thing necessary to make sure I could.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Every time I start to think that, I ask myself how I’d behave if I was a multi-millionaire in my early twenties who’d been worshipped like a hero since I was in high school.

I’m not saying I excuse or approve of athlete behavior. But I understand.

6. bh192012 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

The extra 100 points of batting average over his replacement doesn’t agree with this article.

7. redux23 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM

hire that man a babysitter. i think he has a decent conditioning program in place with the giants, but he struggles with eating right in his free time…case in point… http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/paololucchesi/files/2010/11/image004.jpg

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Can’t the team penalize a fat player? His whole job is about being in peak physical condition, and he’s not doing it. These are choices.

• jwbiii - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Not really. They can release him and pay the $16M or so left on his contract. Curt Schilling had bonuses in his contact for making weight. I would assume that Sandoval does not.

Thanks for that pic, Redux. You beat me to it!

9. travelbavaria - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

¿Que haces con tu vida? For goodness sake. Use a little discipline!!

10. Kevin Gillman - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:44 PM

So we hear from the Giants that they are unhappy with Pablo’s conditioning, yet the Tigers say nothing about Prince’s conditioning? What’s wrong with this?

11. rooney24 - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM

In my opinion, this is a big part of the problem with guaranteed contracts. If he stood to lose that $16 million, there would be a little incentive to get in shape. As it is, he gets the money either way. Unless it is a contract year, there is little to no incentive to work hard. Most players will work hard anyway, but some won’t, because they are getting the money no matter what happens.

12. SOBEIT - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM

The frustrating part for me with Pablo’s DL time is that he hurt his hand…so he should have been able to train and run daily to keep the weight off. The trainers and coaches see him everyday until his rehab stint in the minors…so they should have been on him daily to run and lose the weight because he was in better shape last year than entering spring training this year when he was supposed to be training in AZ again.

There are massive hills in SF…he should have been running up them all day and night…but it looks like he was just chasing and chasing…food and skirts, that is. So sad.

And to make it worse, we have Melky who found out what happens when you get out of shape and the rewards when you are in great shape. I don’t know what happened to Melky in NY and Atlanta, but all we hear about is his dedication to training and being in great shape and the Giants are about to reward him with a long term contract.

Too bad the contracts are guaranteed in this situation because we could just switch Pablo$$$ for Melky$$$.

13. rico7207 - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Fire him ad let an arbitrator rule.And not a dime until then.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3317)