Jun 4, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Jeff Francis was a spring NRI for the Reds, and has been toiling in Louisville all year. Toiling fairly successfully, however, at least if you avoid the W-L record: 3-6 with a 3.72 ERA and 65 strikeouts to 18 walks in 77 innings. He threw a shutout yesterday. But now he’s just out, as the Reds released him.
It was at his request, however, as he had an opt-out provision dated June 1. Given that there isn’t any room in the rotation for him in Cincinnati, and given that he just finished on a high note, one can’t blame him. And you have to figure he’ll latch on someplace.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)