Jun 4, 2012, 1:31 PM EST
Jeff Francis was a spring NRI for the Reds, and has been toiling in Louisville all year. Toiling fairly successfully, however, at least if you avoid the W-L record: 3-6 with a 3.72 ERA and 65 strikeouts to 18 walks in 77 innings. He threw a shutout yesterday. But now he’s just out, as the Reds released him.
It was at his request, however, as he had an opt-out provision dated June 1. Given that there isn’t any room in the rotation for him in Cincinnati, and given that he just finished on a high note, one can’t blame him. And you have to figure he’ll latch on someplace.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)