The Reds release Jeff Francis

Jun 4, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT

Jeff Francis

Jeff Francis was a spring NRI for the Reds, and has been toiling in Louisville all year.  Toiling fairly successfully, however, at least if you avoid the W-L record:  3-6 with a 3.72 ERA and 65 strikeouts to 18 walks in 77 innings.  He threw a shutout yesterday.  But now he’s just out, as the Reds released him.

It was at his request, however, as he had an opt-out provision dated June 1.  Given that there isn’t any room in the rotation for him in Cincinnati, and given that he just finished on a high note, one can’t blame him.  And you have to figure he’ll latch on someplace.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Jun 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM

He’s got the right amount of “veteran-ness” for the Twins to take a flyer, but I’d see him landing somewhere that was interested in Oswalt. St. Louis, Boston, Los Angeles, etc…he’s no Oswalt, but he’s solid rotation depth.

2. randall351 - Jun 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I could also see GMDM bringing him back to KC. Would probably be an upgrade over the Will Smith/Vin Mazzaro slots.

• mattyflex - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Let’s see what Smith can do. I believe he had a QS in his last outing, after being banged around @NYY. He’s not there yet, but I like what I see so far. Even though KC is lefty-hurting, based on how he has thrown for them in the past…. ugh. Things have been working for the Royals lately. After that 3-14 start, they’re 20-15.

Having said that, you’re absolutely right, I do see Dayton Moore bringing him back.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing, except for Luke Hochevar. We know what Luke is…terrible. I still don’t think we know what Smith & Mazzaro are. Although I’m leaning toward Mazzaro as terrible too.

• randall351 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I thought about that later, Hochevar is god awful aka Kyle Davies awful, but I don’t think DMGM is going to give him the ax since he is the only 1st overall pick ever in Royals history, and I think DMGM is going to wait till Hochevar is the worst pitcher in the history of the MLB, and not just the 6th worst, before coming to terms that he is awful, and admitting he was wrong.

• sportsdrenched.com - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Technically Hochaver is not Moore’s draft pick. Allard was fired a week before the draft in 2006 and Dayton Moore wasn’t “officially hired” until after he was done running the Braves Draft.

Daric Ladinier officially has credit for drafting Hochaver…and he was fired the next season I beleive.

However, as much rope the front office gives this guy, I can’t help but think Dayton Moore “suggested” who the Royals should take with that number one pick in 2006.

• lanflfan - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Probably the only time I will ever say this, but am I glad $cott bora$ tried to squeeze more money out of the Dodgers for Hochevar. By not signing him, that gave LA Clayton Kershaw.

3. latchbeam - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Did you say latch??

4. lanflfan - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Watched the kid pitch a bunch again the Dodgers when he was with the Rockies. He usually looked good, but I think the Coors Field effect finally got to him.

5. cambodianbreastmilk - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Petco has a big field and the Padres could use some (ok, A LOT) of help. Where’s the risk? 50gms into the year and we’re only 49gms outta 1st place. I say sign him Josh.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3460)