The Yankees weren’t happy with the Comerica Park security yesterday

Jun 4, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

CORRECTION Yankees Tigers Baseball

Late in yesterday’s Yankees-Tigers game at Comerica Park, a fan got on the field and began to run around.

And run around.

And run around some more.

Indeed, he was on the field for a long time as far as these things go — giving Nick Swisher a fist bump and then going up to Robinson Cano and asking for his glove — with Comerica Park security taking its time to corral him. And the Yankees weren’t too pleased about it:

“That can’t happen,” Girardi said. “People have got to get out there. You worry about your guy.”

Though the Yankees lucked out, and the fan turned out to be harmless, Teixeira nevertheless wondered why he wasn’t taken off the field sooner.

“Most stadiums are great and security is on them in seconds,” Teixeira said.

This is somewhat troubling. That said, as I plan on going to Comerica Park in early August, it is also good information to have in case I get a little bored and restless and feel like going for a run.

1. poorwalt - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

“He runs over and he’s like, ‘Come on Swish, give me some dap’ ” Swisher said. “I was like well, hell, he’s going to jail. Why not?”

2. skids003 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The same people who wonder why he wasn’t taken off immediately are the ones who scream when security is too “rough” on them.

3. chill1184 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I think its funny Swisher gave him a fist bump. Got to love when fans do stupid stunts like this

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Has it been that long that people don’t remember the Monica Seles stabbing incident? Or how about Royals first base coach Tom Gamboa? Security at ballparks isn’t exactly Secret Service level, so I’m a bit shocked at how cavalier some players are when these nuts run out onto the field.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

This is why I supported Philly security for tazing that guy last year, Was it last year even? Anyway, If you run onto the field, you must be looked at as a threat and handled as such imo. Somebody could either be seriously injured or worse by anybody who decides to jump the short wall to the field. I was unpopular for that view if i remember correctly. It’s too easy to smuggle things into a ball park.

• clydeserra - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I also remember the other day when Robinson Cano wasn’t stabbed, or nick swisher, or johan santan, or Luke hochaver, or …..

Look its idiotic, it happens, its happened for a long time. Maybe you recall a fan or 2 running out on the field at yankee stadium in 1977?

Over hyping security concerns because on person was stabbed in thousands of sporting events is not cost effective. I don’t want to pay $1000 for Upperdeck seats because someon in Germany got stabbe 20 years ago, and If you are worried about it, maybe you should look into a safe room for your house.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:17 PM

@clydeserra

Way to miss the point. I’m not overhyping security concerns, and I’m not talking about the fans at all. In fact, if you reread my post, it should be pretty obvious who I’m directing my comments at.

The players in this case, and in others seem a bit cavalier to me. Does that make it clear? Also a lot has changed since 1977; however, I remember multiple people in the media talking about how afraid/freaked out they were when those two guys ran up to Aaron when he broke Ruth’s record. They didn’t know what those two would do, especially in light of all the hate mail/death threats Aaron received.

• clydeserra - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:35 PM

OK, why should they care? People run onto the field all the time and nothing happens…Except sometimes george brett gets kissed.

I agree with you about Aaron, that could have been bad, but it does kinda refute your point.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Except that time a tennis player got stabbed, or that time a Royals coach got beat up… I’m not saying that this stuff happens all the time, just that I’m shocked players aren’t more concerned about the possibility of it happening. For instance, here’s a vid of a goalie in the Dutch soccer league defending himself, and then assaulting, a fan who attacked him during a game (0:13 sec mark for the attack.

Here’s a vid of a what happens to a fan when the player’s strike back. Shocked this doesn’t happen more often. And what the player does is defensible too:

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Give all the security folks tazers, but then alter some to have deadly amounts of electricity. But don’t tell the fans which ones. Then they can bet on which one kills. It will be like the subway race at Yankees stadium or the Sausage race in Milwaulkee, but more exciting.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Yep, no lawsuits there.

• Old Gator - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM

One bullet, right?

5. professor30 - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM

funniest part of the whole story is that the guys who play their home games at yankee stadium were upset with the security at another park. i can say that because i’ve been to the stadium quite a bit and seen what happens there.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I’ve been to Yankee Stadium quite a bit too and I don’t know what you are talking about. There are uniformed cops both inside and outside the park. There is also security at the entrance to each seating pavilion entrance. Remember ?Those annoying folks who keep asking to see your stub on the way back to your seat. I think Yankee Stadium security is pretty tight.
      Also virtually every corner of the new stadium with the exception to the bathroom interiors is under video surveillance. This is a post 9-11 NY city facility. I understand anything can happen anywhere but the Yanks and the CIty do an excellent job with security.

6. illcomm - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I wonder how much attention you would gain Craig, if you ran onto the field. You could have an article written as you were waiting.g for security to grab u.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I think he should make Gleeman do it.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Detroit has security? Huh. You learn something new every day.

8. illcomm - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I would like the see the stat on the number of times a player has been injured by a fan on the field versus how many times a wife has injured a player by dropping a suitcase on yr player, it is zero to one I think. We should therefore increase the security at the hotel too.

9. illcomm - Jun 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Sarcasm in case you literal folks didn’t get it.

• Old Gator - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

You got that backwards. It’s the illiteral folks who don’t get it.

Or something.

10. Utley's Hair - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Maybe the Yankees should trade for Matt Diaz.

• Kevin S. - Jun 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

And sign Rick Monday as their bench coach.

11. skids003 - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Hire Randy Myers.

12. vallewho - Jun 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM

These idiots deserve to be double and triple-tased. Then carted of to jail with a hefty fine on top.

13. xjokerz - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I was at the game … By far the most exciting part of the game … Jeters first pitch home run didn’t help matters …. Anyway he got the loudest ovation of the day. And really scared of a kid in a Kool-aid shirt ? Get lost.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate