A Giants fan says goodbye

Jun 5, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT

Giants logo

A touching story about a fan’s final game at AT&T Park with his beloved Giants.

The writer included a familiar photo at the end, but before I even got to it — indeed, every time I read anything along these lines — all I can wonder is if the departed was a man who loved the outdoors… and bowling, and if, as a surfer, he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and… up to… Pismo.

Nice story. Whoever is around when I kick it can do something similar with my ashes. I’ll let you know where beforehand. Haven’t decided yet.

1. manifunk - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Dang you Craig, I read this and thought this was bad news about Brian Stow and my heart dropped.

• number42is1 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM

same here… at first i was like OH SHIT! sad just the same tho…..

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:39 PM

What a nice gesture. Talk about living and dying with your beloved team.

3. heyblueyoustink - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Craig, I recommend tossing your ashes into the deep sea, so that you can forever criticize Aquaman.

• number42is1 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

with a quick stop at CBP?

4. dwrek5 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Obviously, he’s not a golfer.

5. loungefly74 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

ahhh…beautiful place for your ashes.

6. ceadderman - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Three places I would like to be for all eternity.

The 50 at the 9ers new Stadium for all the years I’ve bled Red and Gold. Hopefully they’ll be commensurate to the location.

Planted along the walk to McCovey Cove with a nice tree. Hopefully a Japanese Maple.

And with the love of my life since she’s preceded me way too early. A lovlier lass you could not have met, but one that wore her heart on her sleeve.

I’m not ready to go yet. Too many things to learn and too many things to do. But when it’s my time these are the places I want to be.

7. mybrunoblog - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

“from ashes you came and to ashes you will return”
    We’re all going there just a matter of time.
    What if I make it to heaven and God says “we only play hockey, tennis and lacrosse here. No baseball” Now that would suck.

• ajcardsfan - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That’s called Hell

8. motherscratcher23 - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Throwin’ rocks tonight, Craig.

9. Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Sorry, can’t help conjuring up that scene from Lebowski – I can see Aaron, Matt and DJ standing there with ashes all over their faces….

• Ralph - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Goodnight, sweet prince.

10. onemilemore - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

This was one of my high school baseball teammates and his family. Dad passed away suddenly at the age of 51. I saw the photos on Facebook, and was brought to tears like many here. Such a fitting tribute.

11. nightman13 - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Touching and awesome at the same time.

Question: Is it legal to dispose of ashes in public places? I could have sworn I heard somewhere that it’s not allowed.

12. philly56 - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Even if it is legal, not sure I’d want some of my dad’s ashes spread around some seats in a baseball stadium. I mean what if some inebriated idiot drops his nacho and decides to eat it anyway. Five second rule and sticky cheese just got some of your dad’s remains ingested. Even if he doesnt’t eat the nacho, now there’s nacho cheese and and maybe some jalapeños all up in his remains. It’s hardly a saintly and peaceful place to spend eternity.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3094)