Jun 5, 2012, 6:04 AM EDT
Giants 3, Cubs 2: A one run game in which the winning team scored one run when the losing team’s shortstop forgot that there was only one out and didn’t try to complete a would-be double play? Oh, Starlin. Well, as they say, you can’t assume the double play. You can assume that your start shortstop won’t have a brain fart, though, right?
Dodgers 4, Phillies 3: The pattern of Jonathan Papelbon being great in save situations but not so great in non-save situations continues. he came into a tie game in the ninth to give up an RBI single to Elian Herrera, plating Dee Gordon. And after he did that he absolutely unloaded on the home plate umpire he thought should have called Gordon out on strikes. More on this later this morning.
Mariners 8, Angels 6: Tom Wilhelmsen came into the game with the bases loaded and no one out in the eigth, the M’s lead down to two runs and Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo coming to bat. Ruh-roh, Raggy! No worries, though: he got Pujols on a comebacker, got the runner on third in a rundown and then struck out Trumbo. *Wilhelmsen drops the mic, walks off*
Athletics 12, Rangers 1: Jarrod Parker taking a no-hitter into the eighth is impressive, but given how this A’s team has hit recently, the 12 runs may be more impressive. Brandon Inge drove in four runs. That’s the fifth time he’s done that since joining the A’s at the end of April.
Cardinals 5, Mets 4: The Cards’ offense finally wakes up. At least the Allen Craig portion of it. Craig singled in a run in the fourth and hit a tie-breaking and, ultimately, game-winning two-run homer in the eighth.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 0: Christian Friedrich pitched four-hit ball for seven innings and the Rockies won their seventh of eight. Dexter Fowler led the game off with a triple. He has a nine game hitting streak in which he’s hitting over .500.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)