Jun 5, 2012, 6:04 AM EDT
Giants 3, Cubs 2: A one run game in which the winning team scored one run when the losing team’s shortstop forgot that there was only one out and didn’t try to complete a would-be double play? Oh, Starlin. Well, as they say, you can’t assume the double play. You can assume that your start shortstop won’t have a brain fart, though, right?
Dodgers 4, Phillies 3: The pattern of Jonathan Papelbon being great in save situations but not so great in non-save situations continues. he came into a tie game in the ninth to give up an RBI single to Elian Herrera, plating Dee Gordon. And after he did that he absolutely unloaded on the home plate umpire he thought should have called Gordon out on strikes. More on this later this morning.
Mariners 8, Angels 6: Tom Wilhelmsen came into the game with the bases loaded and no one out in the eigth, the M’s lead down to two runs and Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo coming to bat. Ruh-roh, Raggy! No worries, though: he got Pujols on a comebacker, got the runner on third in a rundown and then struck out Trumbo. *Wilhelmsen drops the mic, walks off*
Athletics 12, Rangers 1: Jarrod Parker taking a no-hitter into the eighth is impressive, but given how this A’s team has hit recently, the 12 runs may be more impressive. Brandon Inge drove in four runs. That’s the fifth time he’s done that since joining the A’s at the end of April.
Cardinals 5, Mets 4: The Cards’ offense finally wakes up. At least the Allen Craig portion of it. Craig singled in a run in the fourth and hit a tie-breaking and, ultimately, game-winning two-run homer in the eighth.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 0: Christian Friedrich pitched four-hit ball for seven innings and the Rockies won their seventh of eight. Dexter Fowler led the game off with a triple. He has a nine game hitting streak in which he’s hitting over .500.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)