Jun 5, 2012, 6:04 AM EST
Giants 3, Cubs 2: A one run game in which the winning team scored one run when the losing team’s shortstop forgot that there was only one out and didn’t try to complete a would-be double play? Oh, Starlin. Well, as they say, you can’t assume the double play. You can assume that your start shortstop won’t have a brain fart, though, right?
Dodgers 4, Phillies 3: The pattern of Jonathan Papelbon being great in save situations but not so great in non-save situations continues. he came into a tie game in the ninth to give up an RBI single to Elian Herrera, plating Dee Gordon. And after he did that he absolutely unloaded on the home plate umpire he thought should have called Gordon out on strikes. More on this later this morning.
Mariners 8, Angels 6: Tom Wilhelmsen came into the game with the bases loaded and no one out in the eigth, the M’s lead down to two runs and Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo coming to bat. Ruh-roh, Raggy! No worries, though: he got Pujols on a comebacker, got the runner on third in a rundown and then struck out Trumbo. *Wilhelmsen drops the mic, walks off*
Athletics 12, Rangers 1: Jarrod Parker taking a no-hitter into the eighth is impressive, but given how this A’s team has hit recently, the 12 runs may be more impressive. Brandon Inge drove in four runs. That’s the fifth time he’s done that since joining the A’s at the end of April.
Cardinals 5, Mets 4: The Cards’ offense finally wakes up. At least the Allen Craig portion of it. Craig singled in a run in the fourth and hit a tie-breaking and, ultimately, game-winning two-run homer in the eighth.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 0: Christian Friedrich pitched four-hit ball for seven innings and the Rockies won their seventh of eight. Dexter Fowler led the game off with a triple. He has a nine game hitting streak in which he’s hitting over .500.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 10
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)