Jun 5, 2012, 6:04 AM EDT
Giants 3, Cubs 2: A one run game in which the winning team scored one run when the losing team’s shortstop forgot that there was only one out and didn’t try to complete a would-be double play? Oh, Starlin. Well, as they say, you can’t assume the double play. You can assume that your start shortstop won’t have a brain fart, though, right?
Dodgers 4, Phillies 3: The pattern of Jonathan Papelbon being great in save situations but not so great in non-save situations continues. he came into a tie game in the ninth to give up an RBI single to Elian Herrera, plating Dee Gordon. And after he did that he absolutely unloaded on the home plate umpire he thought should have called Gordon out on strikes. More on this later this morning.
Mariners 8, Angels 6: Tom Wilhelmsen came into the game with the bases loaded and no one out in the eigth, the M’s lead down to two runs and Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo coming to bat. Ruh-roh, Raggy! No worries, though: he got Pujols on a comebacker, got the runner on third in a rundown and then struck out Trumbo. *Wilhelmsen drops the mic, walks off*
Athletics 12, Rangers 1: Jarrod Parker taking a no-hitter into the eighth is impressive, but given how this A’s team has hit recently, the 12 runs may be more impressive. Brandon Inge drove in four runs. That’s the fifth time he’s done that since joining the A’s at the end of April.
Cardinals 5, Mets 4: The Cards’ offense finally wakes up. At least the Allen Craig portion of it. Craig singled in a run in the fourth and hit a tie-breaking and, ultimately, game-winning two-run homer in the eighth.
Rockies 4, Diamondbacks 0: Christian Friedrich pitched four-hit ball for seven innings and the Rockies won their seventh of eight. Dexter Fowler led the game off with a triple. He has a nine game hitting streak in which he’s hitting over .500.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 8
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 36
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)