Bryce Harper delivers his first of many game-winning hits

Jun 5, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT

Bryce Harper AP

Bryce Harper singled in Jesus Flores in the bottom of the 12th inning Tuesday to give the Nationals a 7-6 win over the Mets.

The Mets took a 6-5 lead on Scott Hairston‘s homer in the top of the 12th, but the Nats came back to tie it on an Ian Desmond double before Harper ended it.

It was Harper’s second RBI single of the game. He started the scoring with his hit in the third.

Going into the day, Harper hadn’t driven in anyone except himself in the last two weeks. He did have three solo homers since his last hit to drive in a baserunner on May 22. Overall, he has 14 RBI to go along with his five homers and .288 average in 33 games.

Harper’s hit made a winner of Ross Detwiler out of the pen. Rule 5 pick Elvin Ramirez walked three in 1 2/3 innings and took the loss.

1. rakattack98 - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM

This kid is the anti-Labron. He certainly has the clutch gene. Its going to be a long decade for the the NL East

2. jimbo1949 - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ian Desmond’s double came after Morse’s lead off homer.

• dinglbry74 - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:07 AM

What homer?

• jimbo1949 - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Captain Renault: What in heaven’s name brought you to Casablanca?
        Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.
        Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We’re in the desert.
        Rick: I was misinformed.
        I was misinformed

• natstowngreg - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Morse almost homered. He hit the ball near the top of the out-of-town scoreboard in RCF.
        A good sign for Morse.

• tcostant - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Morse just missed a homer; it hit the scorebaord and 3 feet away from going out; it was double and Desi drove Morse in…

3. bestcoastinfluence - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I hate to tell all you National fans, but Trout>Harper. Harper is a monster though

• rakattack98 - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Pretty sure Trout wasn’t even in the conversation. And I dont think anyone was arguing that Harper was better. He is however a year younger than Trout. But whatever, they are both ridiculously good and both future stars

• bestcoastinfluence - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I know Trout wasn’t in the conversation, but isn’t that what you are supposed to do with these comments? Make blatantly obvious statements. You are right Harper is a year younger and again you are right they are both ridiculously good and future stars. I feel like I was trying to argue something here, but you just made some good comments so I had to respond.

• verytalldad - Jun 6, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Trout lacks Natitude

• jlovenotjlo - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I’m sure ESPN will have a sh*tty story about this. Stick to your soaps buddy

• voteforno6 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I can’t wait to see what Harper does when he’s 20.

• tcostant - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ironicly the Nationals could have both. Trout was there for the taking at #10 (they took Drew Storen) the same year Strustbirg when #1 overall. The Nats hat that #10 pick that year because they didn’t sign their first round pick the year before (A. Crow). I’m just saying…

• voteforno6 - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

They probably drafted Storen, at least in part, because they knew that he would sign right away. They couldn’t afford to lose that pick.

• tcostant - Jun 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I agree that was the thinking at the time…

4. themuddychicken - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM

That was one of the crazier games I’ve ever been to. Coming back from a run down in the bottom of the 8th… and the bottom of the 10th… and the bottom of the 12th…

I’m glad they didn’t wait for the 14th to finally push that extra run across. I’m tired…

5. aceinthehole12 - Jun 6, 2012 at 3:40 AM

I’m excited to watch this kid grow…imagine him 4-5 years from now.

6. tsi431 - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Technically the Mets shortstops won this game for the Nationals. 3 errors and 3 unearned runs.

7. Reggie's Bush - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What’s tsi431 said.

Murphy not able to turn a double play to end it, Ike Davis not turning another double play, and Valdespin twice booting the ball – one of those a double play

8. tomtravis76 - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Having Davey Johnson as his first MLB manager is a bonus. His current contract ends 2018, I already can’t stand the articles about why he will be a Yankee.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3356)