Jun 5, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Carlos Santana is back in the Indians’ lineup tonight after missing the past 10 days with a concussion and he’s batting cleanup, but manager Manny Acta has him in the designated hitter spot instead of catching.
Santana started at DH and homered yesterday in a minor-league rehab game to convince the Indians that he’s ready to return after taking a foul ball to the face mask on May 25.
Prior to the concussion Santana hit .245 with five homers and a .747 OPS in 43 games while making 31 starts at catcher, three starts at first base, and three starts at DH.
In his absence Lou Marson took over as the primary catcher, with Luke Carlin backing him up.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (125)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)