Dustin Pedroia avoids the DL, returns from thumb injury

Jun 5, 2012, 4:13 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox  v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

UPDATE: As expected, Pedroia is back in the Red Sox’s lineup tonight, batting second and playing second base.

=========

So much for Dustin Pedroia missing 3-4 weeks with a torn thumb muscle.

Pedroia has remained on the active roster without playing since May 28 and now Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox second baseman will be back in the lineup for tonight’s game against the Orioles at Fenway Park.

So instead of missing a month he’ll end up missing just six games, although how Pedroia performs while playing through the injury is another issue.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

“So instead of missing a month he’ll end up missing just six games”

Don’t jinx it, Gleeman.

I don’t want this to be another statistic on “returning too early from an injury”.

2. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I think trying to play through this injury doesn’t make Pedroia look like a tough guy, but rather the foolish martyr. Seems quite shortsighted to me. I want my guys at a 100%, as often as possible, this early in the season. If not, take a rehab on the DL. This injury can be a season changer for the RS

3. patsandsox - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Pedrioa is my favorite player on the team and I love the idea that he is back in the lineup tonight. That said I think he should have taken the three weeks now to let it heal. Its early in the season, they are playing fine now without him, and it would not risk it turning into something bigger.
    If he does something like dive for a ball and jam his thumb he could be done for the year. Its a foolish risk for them to let him back this soon. It shows to me that no one has the balls to stand up to Dustin. I am hoping for the best but with the Red Sox history on injuries lately (the last 3 -4 years) I think they are taking a huge risk that is unnecessary.

4. steelymcbeam6 - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Glad to see him back because i think the sox could put a little bit of a run together with him but I’m not sure about this. The first time he makes contact on the ball at the play could aggravate it or diving after a ground ball, which re aggravated this most recent time. I’d prefer him to just to get healthy and not to rush it.

Go sox

5. lazlosother - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM

He could aggravate it but then again, Dustin and the Sox may have a better handle on the severity of the injury than we do. I hate Boston but love Pedroia, hope this works out for him.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet