Must-click link: Old Hoss 1K884 Base Ball

Jun 5, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT

Old Hoss Radbourn

It’s finally here! The most realistic (19th Century) baseball sim ever!  It’s Old Hoss 1K884 Base Ball!

Inspired by a random tweet from the late Old Hoss Radbourn making fun of all of the 2K12-style sports games, a fellow named @drewbenn created Old Hoss 1K884 Base Ball to give you a taste of what it was really like to toss the horsehide during the Chester A. Arthur administration!

• Maim, kill and cuckold opposing batsmen!
  • Threaten umpires who dare call your strikes balls!
  • Sire bastard children!
  • Look askance at Irishmen as they try to infiltrate the purest of pastimes!

Old Hoss 1K884 Base Ball has it all!

1. bsbiz - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I ended the game in three innings by killing/maiming all the members of the other team. So proud of myself.

• Ben - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Cole Hamels is too.

• CJ - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

same here…in a shutout no less. good times.

2. seeinred87 - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I tried to play it legit, but my defense was incompetent. I then proceeded to injure a few guys and kill a couple more for the win.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

• umrguy42 - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, same here. I started off regular, but, well… I was still up 16-12 at the end, most likely thanks to a defense that was NOT scrappy after being maimed…

3. ajcardsfan - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I can’t look at the game while at work, but please tell me they were a little futuristic with the game and gave it a Ty Cobb Fan Bludgeon button

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I allowed 12 runs. I now fear for my life.

5. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I won 8-1, and didn’t maim anyone. With 21 strikeouts. I feel a little cheated, given what I read about above. But I’m not going to play again, and will retire with a perfect winning record.

6. stabonerichard - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I played it pretty straight, only maiming a couple batters when the situation called for it.

I was clinging to a 5-4 lead in the 8th, when the opposition managed to put runners on 1st-2nd with only 1 out. The next c-sucker had the audacity to lay down a bunt, moving the go-ahead run into scoring position. Lucky for me the 8-hitter was up next, so naturally I threw at his head…

1) Don’t bunt on me
    2) The pansy 9-hitter is standing in the on deck circle

The pitch served its purpose…AND THEN SOME! Not only did it knock the batter out of the game, the last guy on their bench to replace him was the starting pitcher from the previous night, who was nursing a banger of a hangover, and I promptly picked him off to end the inning & the threat. Hoo boy, that was a slick maneuver.

So after that, I cruised thru the 9th to secure the victory. No closer needed, as my starter only got stronger as the game progressed. Cole Hamels would be damn proud.

7. lazlosother - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I tried to play but I couldn’t stop laughing. I think I lost.

8. adeedothatswho - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

How is this different than ‘Oregon Trail?’ I think I died of dysentery.

9. cogitobaseballergosum - Jun 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I won 8-1 with 16 strikeouts, but I’m not sure how I was still able to pitch after the 5th trip to the clubhouse with the manager’s wife.

10. Walk - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:12 AM

7-1 with 20k’s 38 batter faced. Threw at head a few times never connected so just settled down and played. My red headed ss sucked it up though.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act