Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Tampa Bay activated Desmond Jennings from the disabled list after the speedy left fielder missed the past four weeks with a knee injury.
Jennings went just 3-for-15 (.200) with zero walks and one double on a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Hideki Matsui has started four of the past five games in left field, so with Jennings back and likely to play every day again it’ll be interesting to see what kind of role the Rays have for Matsui.
Career minor leaguer Rich Thompson, who got his first big-league hit at age 33, was sent back to Triple-A to make room for Jennings’ return.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)