Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Tampa Bay activated Desmond Jennings from the disabled list after the speedy left fielder missed the past four weeks with a knee injury.
Jennings went just 3-for-15 (.200) with zero walks and one double on a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Hideki Matsui has started four of the past five games in left field, so with Jennings back and likely to play every day again it’ll be interesting to see what kind of role the Rays have for Matsui.
Career minor leaguer Rich Thompson, who got his first big-league hit at age 33, was sent back to Triple-A to make room for Jennings’ return.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 4
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 1
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)