Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Tampa Bay activated Desmond Jennings from the disabled list after the speedy left fielder missed the past four weeks with a knee injury.
Jennings went just 3-for-15 (.200) with zero walks and one double on a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Hideki Matsui has started four of the past five games in left field, so with Jennings back and likely to play every day again it’ll be interesting to see what kind of role the Rays have for Matsui.
Career minor leaguer Rich Thompson, who got his first big-league hit at age 33, was sent back to Triple-A to make room for Jennings’ return.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)