Jun 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Tampa Bay activated Desmond Jennings from the disabled list after the speedy left fielder missed the past four weeks with a knee injury.
Jennings went just 3-for-15 (.200) with zero walks and one double on a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Hideki Matsui has started four of the past five games in left field, so with Jennings back and likely to play every day again it’ll be interesting to see what kind of role the Rays have for Matsui.
Career minor leaguer Rich Thompson, who got his first big-league hit at age 33, was sent back to Triple-A to make room for Jennings’ return.
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 37
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 17
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 43
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)