The Blue Jays may be interested in Matt Garza

Jun 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Matt Garza AP

Seems early for rumor season, but I guess it’s starting: according to Ken Rosenthal, the Blue Jays have expressed interest in acquiring Matt Garza.

There were concerns about the depth of the Jays’ starters since before the season began. And though they haven’t been nearly as bad as some more pessimistic prognosticators prognasticated, their pitching staff is still below average in the AL while their competitive prospects — only three games out in the east — remain decent.  Makes sense that they might want a starts.

As for the Cubs, we already mentioned that everything that isn’t nailed down can be had. Really: you should make them an offer. You could get Matt Garza yourself.  Maybe he’s a good cook. You never know!

1. El Bravo - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

They may be taking offers for Castro now, given last night’s brain poop.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It’s a shame Miami has no room – Ozzie loves that Castro guy.

2. Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Here’s how the Jays can acquire Garza: trade Bautista to the Feesh for Tweeter, and then trade Tweeter to the Cubs for Garza. Hell, if the Feesh had sprung for that package deal involving Tweeter over the Weenter Garza would be our third starter now.

• vivabear - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Seriously? This is neither funny or realistic.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

• hiltonandastoria - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

So Im blocked by Craig Calcaterra every chance he gets every day. Today I was blocked from posting for this…

“Same with “Blue Jays Alex A is interested in [Insert player name here]“”

While OldGator is more than welcome to post

“And you, steeped in bile and irrelevance as you are, are neither very bright nor amusing yourself.”

Im glad to find out who has been doing this everyday after I post
        Inform the gentlemen who run the hockey side of this site, I won’t be joining them for any more of their live events or contributing in anyway shape or form anylonger.

They can thank the bias and unprofessional Craig Calcaterra for chasing off one of the best contributors to hockey, now he can chase off Govminion and MrMojo and turn the hockey side into a ghost town

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I’ve not blocked you at all. If there is some hangup in your posts its a technical thing, not me or anyone else around here blocking you.

But hey, if you like feeling persecuted, don’t let me stop you.

• silversun60 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

BOOM! ROASTED!

• vivabear - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM

‘neither very bright nor amusing yourself’

For such a self-proclaimed master of written english, one would expect you to know using ‘nor’ following the use of neither is unnecessary.

I’m relevant enough to know you’re a dipshit who contributes nothing of value to these comments sections.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

And you are a dimwitted troll who lies in wait by your keyboard for me to post something, anything about a Matt Garza trade before springing into action like some sorry imitation of a cholla cactus. Your obsession with me, and with the Garza/Morrison trade negotiations this past weenter – which you denied happened but then freaked out when I linked you, pointlessly as it turned out, to articles about them, is more than merely borderline pathological.

Now, as for your predictably ignorant comments about neither/nor, this from GrammarMonster.com (http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/either_or_neither_nor_double_negative.htm). Since you had no use for my link correcting your vaporousness about the Garza/Morrison negotiations, though, I have to assume you might have no use for this one either, and so am rendering the relevant passage in its entirety:
        _________________
        Either/Or and Neither/Nor

The pairings either/or and neither/nor can be used to group two people or things. Although not a major grammatical error, the grouping of more than two things is frowned upon by some style conventions.

Examples:

Neither the forwards nor the scrumhalf, all of whom were within 10 metres
        of the tackle, nor the crowd appealed for a foul. (three things grouped) (X)

I could neither laugh nor cry. (√)
        _____________
        I think it’s still early enough for you to sign up for a fifth grade makeup English grammar course in your local district summer school program. Good luck!

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM

hiltonandastoria: Craig’s demurral notwithstanding, the problem isn’t with him, it’s with the interfaces between your browser and WordPress (which sucks). Chrome is especially susceptible to issues here. The same thing occasionally happens to me, and others have come onboard here to complain about it. About half the time, the post you thought was blocked will actually show up in the thread you posted to some hours later. The other half, it won’t show up – but WordPress will act as though it has it, because if you try to re-post you’ll get a “duplicate comment” notification.

The answer, I think, is to find another server for this blog. WordPress has lots of nice little bells and whistles but it also has all sorts of problems with basic functionality.

3. scapistron - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM

[insert name of competitive team] is interested in Matt Garza

That will be the headline for the next month.

• hiltonandastoria - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Same with “Blue Jays Alex A is interested in [Insert player name here]“

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I want Campana, Castro and Garza to stay. The other 22 guys can go. Garza is just way too fun to root for – please stay!

• diehardcubbiefan4life - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My very thoughts exactly. I would love it if he got an extension.

• Alex K - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Campana?

One of these things is not like the other……

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Dude jumps OVER third basemen when on the basepaths. He’s the fastest Cub I’ve seen since…um…ever. Yeah, I want him to stay.

• Alex K - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

He’s fast and plays hard, true. That doesn’t make him someone to keep around if there is a prospect coming up that is ready. Campana isn’t a lot but fast.

5. xpensivewinos - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

That commotion you hear is Travis Snider hastily packing his packs in the hopes that……

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

…that he’ll be traded to the Cubs???? Thou jesteth….

6. proudlycanadian - Jun 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

99% of stories that predict future Jays trades are wrong.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

It’s that one percent you have to worry about. Just like with lightning strikes.

• 18thstreet - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I better start churning out some rumors. It’s going to be hard to get to 100 trade rumors involving one team; there’s only 750 major leaguers, and 25 of them already play for Toronto.

I’m hearing the Blue Jays are interested in Johann Santana.

• silversun60 - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Are you suggesting we start an Occupy The Blue Jays movement?

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

You go ahead and pack the Rogers. Me, I’ll occupy Caplansky’s and have a smoked meat with lettuce, tomato, onion and horseradish mustard on rye, and a bottle of that killer diet cream soda they serve there that you can’t find in the States.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jun 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

well we know this isnt true proudly cause the jays would have to take on a decent contract and since they are just about broke they won’t be trading for this pitcher. stick with those flops you call prospects

7. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I’d be surprised if garza doesn’t wind up in the Bronx, as long as the Yankees can deliver a decent package. I suspect that of all the teams out there, Theo prefers, at this point, to send all his grade A talent to the Yankees, just to stick it to the Red Sox. Bad blood runs deep.

8. cshearing - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

@hiltonandastoria: It is hilarious to hear that attitude from a PHT regular. Even though I am a hockey fan first, I had to quit going to the site due to so many idiotic posters. And horrible stories. Though I’ll readily admit it was mostly the posters.

9. rico7207 - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Send him there ASAP. PLEASE GET RID OF HIM!!!!!!

Ace-killer Giants do it again