Jun 5, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The first vote-tallies have been released from the All-Star Game. Gentlemen, start your outrage!
Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton and Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp are Major League Baseball’s top overall vote-getters in the first balloting figures for the 83rd All-Star Game … Hamilton, a four-time A.L. All-Star, has received 2,587,991 votes as he attempts to make his fifth consecutive fan-elected start … Kemp (1,952,910) leads all N.L. vote-getters and ranks second in the Majors, trailing only Hamilton.
By position, the leaders break down thusly. And yes, for the AL these are All-Stars, not just the Rangers starting lineup:
Lots of Rangers and Cardinals in second place as well, which tells you a lot about attendance, how good their teams are and all of that. And the fact that, unlike in many recent years, Yankees players aren’t dominating in the early voting, suggests that the Yankees fans are feeling somewhat “meh” about things this year.
Lots of voting to go. And no, it won’t bear too close a relationship to who is actually doing the best at each position this year. But then again it never has, so things are pretty normal.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 16
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)