Jun 5, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
The first vote-tallies have been released from the All-Star Game. Gentlemen, start your outrage!
Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton and Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp are Major League Baseball’s top overall vote-getters in the first balloting figures for the 83rd All-Star Game … Hamilton, a four-time A.L. All-Star, has received 2,587,991 votes as he attempts to make his fifth consecutive fan-elected start … Kemp (1,952,910) leads all N.L. vote-getters and ranks second in the Majors, trailing only Hamilton.
By position, the leaders break down thusly. And yes, for the AL these are All-Stars, not just the Rangers starting lineup:
Lots of Rangers and Cardinals in second place as well, which tells you a lot about attendance, how good their teams are and all of that. And the fact that, unlike in many recent years, Yankees players aren’t dominating in the early voting, suggests that the Yankees fans are feeling somewhat “meh” about things this year.
Lots of voting to go. And no, it won’t bear too close a relationship to who is actually doing the best at each position this year. But then again it never has, so things are pretty normal.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)