The Texas Rangers are dominating early All-Star balloting

Jun 5, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

All Star Game Logo

The first vote-tallies have been released from the All-Star Game. Gentlemen, start your outrage!

Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton and Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp are Major League Baseball’s top overall vote-getters in the first balloting figures for the 83rd All-Star Game … Hamilton, a four-time A.L. All-Star, has received 2,587,991 votes as he attempts to make his fifth consecutive fan-elected start … Kemp (1,952,910) leads all N.L. vote-getters and ranks second in the Majors, trailing only Hamilton.

By position, the leaders break down thusly. And yes, for the AL these are All-Stars, not just the Rangers starting lineup:

American League:  C: Mike Napoli; 1B: Prince Fielder; 2B: Ian Kinsler; SS: Derek Jeter; 3B: Adrian Beltre; OF: Hamilton, Curtis Granderson, Nelson Cruz; DH David Ortiz.

National League: C: Yadier Molina; 1B: Joey Votto; 2B: Dan Uggla; SS: Troy Tulowitzki; 3B: David Wright; OF: Kemp, Carlos Beltran, Ryan Braun.

Lots of Rangers and Cardinals in second place as well, which tells you a lot about attendance, how good their teams are and all of that. And the fact that, unlike in many recent years, Yankees players aren’t dominating in the early voting, suggests that the Yankees fans are feeling somewhat “meh” about things this year.

Lots of voting to go. And no, it won’t bear too close a relationship to who is actually doing the best at each position this year. But then again it never has, so things are pretty normal.

1. Kevin Gillman - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I know this will never happen, but I wish fans of other teams would just vote for who they feel deserve to be in the All-Star game, and not vote for their favorite players on team. I believe that Jason Kipnis will be an All-Star, but he’s having a better season than Ian Kinsler. Paul Konerko is surely outpaying the uba-expensive Prince Fielder, and so on and so on. But it will never be like that, so whatever.

• 18thstreet - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

By the time all the players beg out of the game, your favorite choice will make the team. The rosters have 45 players on them, and half of them fake injuries. I promise you: Konerko will make the team (which he deserves to).

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:29 PM

With the latest CBA, I think you have to be on your deathbed to get out of the ASG =\

• ThisIsBaseball - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I’ve always voted for who I thought deserved, team allegences be damned. The ASG popularity contest is lame.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I agree, it’s a complete shame that right now Lance Berkman is 2nd in the NL voting for 1st basemen. Come on Cardinal fans, I know he’s your own, but he’s injured. Vote for someone that deserves it. Then again, I believe it was in 1992 when Sandy Alomar, Jr. was selected to start in the game, despite missing many games. I didn’t like it then, and I don’t like it now. Hopefully he doesn’t win the ballot.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Yeah it is, I have done the same thing, I mean I know it would be great if you see 9 All-Stars from your team, but that is very unrealistic…LOL

• ThisIsBaseball - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I agree. If I want to watch 9 players all from my team on the field I will go to one of their games. This is the opportunity to see the best of the best all on one field.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

You know, sadly enough, I can’t think of an AL shortstop more deserving than Jeter this year. Asdrubal Cabrera maybe.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Its 2012, not 2011
      Cabrera isn’t coming close to his #’s last year

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Hence my statement being all the more sad. I’m used to Jeter being there because he’s Jeter.

3. 18thstreet - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I can’t believe my favorite player didn’t get more votes! He’s much better than the leading player at his position!

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM

If Bill Brasky were around, he’d be his own All-Star team. He’s win 20-0, too.

5. pkswally024 - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

CHOOCH!

6. seanthegreatest - Jun 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Based on numbers
    C: Salty 1B: Cabrera 2B: Kipnis 3B:Encarnacion SS: Andrus OF: Hamilton OF: Jones OF: Granderson DH: Reddick

Konerko
    Jeter
    Fielder
    Trout

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Naps at catcher is a joke, but let’s not go throwing Salty “I’m auto sit vs lefties and a bad defensive catcher” over Wieters

• seanthegreatest - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Actually. Statistically, Pierzynski is having the better year, but he is my least favorite player. As an Angel fan I can never put AJ on a ballot EVER. Let’s not kid ourselves into thinking defense has anything to do with it. Wieters is hitting .244

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Defence has nothing to do with it? I guess people loved seeing a back-flip and kept throwing Ozzie out there.

• pablosandovalisaboss - Jun 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Melky Cabrera should make the allstar team. He is second in BA behind Konerko by 0.01, he is second in the MLB in runs scored and also got 51 hits in the month of may (29 games).

7. mattyflex - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Don’t be surprised when Mike Moustakas closes in on the AL start at 3B. Royals fans will be all over the voting with it being in Kansas City, and he’s putting up completely respectable numbers. The real issue is how Chris Getz received a single vote, let alone being listed near the top.

8. tropboi11 - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Adam Jones over Nelson Cruz and Edwin Encarncion over Beltre all day, oh yeah and Matt Weiters over Napoli. Hamilton is the only deserving starter but the rest of the guys mentioned above still deserve to make the team.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I know you just didn’t indicate you would take Encarnacion over Beltre. Could’t have. Can’t be.
      I am seeing things. You fat fingered your keyboard. Something!

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The game is going to be played…and it should be well hyped and very exciting.
    So there is that. Otherwise, let’s file this one in the “who could really give a shit” folder and move on.

10. billymc75 - Jun 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Id say the Rangers are due !

11. yankeehatersaredelusional - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Now the rangers fans have taken over the “Our players should be starting even though they aren’t all deserving” role
    Kinsler is not even the 2nd most deserving 2B in the AL this year. Its Kipnis first and then cano
    Napoli? But wieters is extremely overrated though
    Josh hamilton? seriously? (I was kidding about that one)
    At least jeter deserves it this year, please tell me .336 is not all-star worthy
    Other than kinsler, napoli and fielder (who should be behind konerko) i agree with the AL picks so far

12. steelymcbeam6 - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I’ve always that the all star game was a popularity contest more than anything. It’s a shame over the past years there have been so many lesser known players with better numbers get snubbed over their more popular counterpart.

Take the fans vote away. They dont deserve it. Most fans have have no perspective and can’t take their emotion out of it long enough to make the right decision.

13. deep64blue - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

It shouldn’t have much to do with who’s doing well this Season – its the All-Star game not the All-first 6 weeks of the Season game!! It needs to be about those people who have established themselves as Stars over a number of years.

14. reptar24 - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2013 New York Yankees.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet