Jun 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Bad news: Tommy Lasorda had a heart attack yesterday. Good news: it was apparently mild, and he should be released from the hospital soon. From TMZ:
Baseball legend Tommy Lasorda is currently in a New York hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday, TMZ has learned.
84-year-old Lasorda — who ended his illustrious coaching career after a prior heart attack in 1996 — was in NY representing the L.A. Dodgers at the MLB draft, which started yesterday.
Sources tell us … the heart attack was “mild” and Tommy is expected to be ok — and the plan is for him to be released tomorrow.
And since it sounds like he’ll be OK, I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance.
Speedy recovery, Tommy!
UPDATE: Lasorda issued a statement. This is no joke:
“The doctors confirmed I do indeed bleed Dodger blue. I’m looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers.”
He had a stent inserted to clear a blocked artery. He is listed in stable condition and is resting comfortably, according to the Dodgers.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)