Jun 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Bad news: Tommy Lasorda had a heart attack yesterday. Good news: it was apparently mild, and he should be released from the hospital soon. From TMZ:
Baseball legend Tommy Lasorda is currently in a New York hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday, TMZ has learned.
84-year-old Lasorda — who ended his illustrious coaching career after a prior heart attack in 1996 — was in NY representing the L.A. Dodgers at the MLB draft, which started yesterday.
Sources tell us … the heart attack was “mild” and Tommy is expected to be ok — and the plan is for him to be released tomorrow.
And since it sounds like he’ll be OK, I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance.
Speedy recovery, Tommy!
UPDATE: Lasorda issued a statement. This is no joke:
“The doctors confirmed I do indeed bleed Dodger blue. I’m looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers.”
He had a stent inserted to clear a blocked artery. He is listed in stable condition and is resting comfortably, according to the Dodgers.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)