Jun 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Bad news: Tommy Lasorda had a heart attack yesterday. Good news: it was apparently mild, and he should be released from the hospital soon. From TMZ:
Baseball legend Tommy Lasorda is currently in a New York hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday, TMZ has learned.
84-year-old Lasorda — who ended his illustrious coaching career after a prior heart attack in 1996 — was in NY representing the L.A. Dodgers at the MLB draft, which started yesterday.
Sources tell us … the heart attack was “mild” and Tommy is expected to be ok — and the plan is for him to be released tomorrow.
And since it sounds like he’ll be OK, I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance.
Speedy recovery, Tommy!
UPDATE: Lasorda issued a statement. This is no joke:
“The doctors confirmed I do indeed bleed Dodger blue. I’m looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers.”
He had a stent inserted to clear a blocked artery. He is listed in stable condition and is resting comfortably, according to the Dodgers.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)