Jun 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Bad news: Tommy Lasorda had a heart attack yesterday. Good news: it was apparently mild, and he should be released from the hospital soon. From TMZ:
Baseball legend Tommy Lasorda is currently in a New York hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday, TMZ has learned.
84-year-old Lasorda — who ended his illustrious coaching career after a prior heart attack in 1996 — was in NY representing the L.A. Dodgers at the MLB draft, which started yesterday.
Sources tell us … the heart attack was “mild” and Tommy is expected to be ok — and the plan is for him to be released tomorrow.
And since it sounds like he’ll be OK, I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance.
Speedy recovery, Tommy!
UPDATE: Lasorda issued a statement. This is no joke:
“The doctors confirmed I do indeed bleed Dodger blue. I’m looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers.”
He had a stent inserted to clear a blocked artery. He is listed in stable condition and is resting comfortably, according to the Dodgers.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 15
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 3
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 75
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)