Tommy Lasorda hospitalized after a mild heart attack

Jun 5, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

2011 Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Getty Images

Bad news: Tommy Lasorda had a heart attack yesterday. Good news: it was apparently mild, and he should be released from the hospital soon. From TMZ:

Baseball legend Tommy Lasorda is currently in a New York hospital after suffering a heart attack Monday, TMZ has learned.

84-year-old Lasorda — who ended his illustrious coaching career after a prior heart attack in 1996 — was in NY representing the L.A. Dodgers at the MLB draft, which started yesterday.

Sources tell us … the heart attack was “mild” and Tommy is expected to be ok — and the plan is for him to be released tomorrow.

And since it sounds like he’ll be OK, I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance.

Speedy recovery, Tommy!

UPDATE: Lasorda issued a statement. This is no joke:

“The doctors confirmed I do indeed bleed Dodger blue. I’m looking forward to being back at the stadium to cheer on the Dodgers.”

He had a stent inserted to clear a blocked artery. He is listed in stable condition and is resting comfortably, according to the Dodgers.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Get well soon, Tommy!! We love you.

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Amen.

2. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Throw in a couple of stents, rub some dirt on it and put down the canoli and he’ll be fine. Take it easy, Tommy!!

• Old Gator - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I have actually eaten nonfat, sugar-free canoli. I’m sure an Italian wouldn’t feed such a thing to his dog, but let’s face it, you can become inured the the taste of Splenda pretty readily when you consider the alternatives.

• bigharold - Jun 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Eating a non-fat, sugar free canoli is like drinking light beer, … what the point?

As far as the “mild heart attack” thing. A mild heart attack is somebody else’s heart attack and I don’t think that is possible at 84.

3. mungman69 - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Go on a diet. How the hell did you live this long?

• willsolo - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Tommy Lasorda is a saint. Take your a-hole comments elsewhere.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM

A saint would acknowledge that his son died of AIDS not cancer. Eff him, if someone wants to pay my way from Denver I will pull the plug myself. I’ve been tired of his schtick since the 70’s.

4. ndnut - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM

What is a “mild” heart attack? I thought they were all bad and deadly.

5. SmackSaw - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I hope Kurt Bevaqua doesn’t stop by. Doug Rau might.

6. florida727 - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:36 PM

One of the genuinely good guys in sports. Quick recovery, Tommy.

Have to second the comment by “ndnut”. I’m fairly certain no medical person would ever refer to any type of heart attack as “mild”. Glad Tommy’s was attended to quickly and he turned out okay.

7. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

There are mild heart attacks, I’ve had two. They are pretty much complete blockages in any coronary artery that’s not the Left Main Coronary Artery. They can be fixed with a stent. I have 5. Blockages in the LM call for bypass surgery, almost all of the time.

• florida727 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Good to know. Obviously it just sounds bad to use the words “heart” and “attack” in the same sentence. Got to love his response about bleeding Dodger blue. What else would you expect from him?

8. highlander24 - Jun 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Get well soon Mr. Lasorda! Best Wishes! You’ll make it through all right!

9. toadlip - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Doctors were shocked when they found they found out he had 3 olives stuck in one of his main arteries and even more stunned when Tommy came back with a 2% BMC – Blood Marinara Content.

10. thomas2727 - Jun 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Get Well Tommy. As a Giants fan I have to say Tommy makes the rivalry more fun. Everybody knows how much Giants fans like to boo Tommy as evidenced by his appearance at AT&T Park last Saturday.

11. willsolo - Jun 5, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Gonna be a sad day in Dodgers history when him and Vin Scully pass away. They are the Dodgers.

12. lazlosother - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Heart attacks are weird birds. Even if it is “minor”, it isn’t good. I had one and one group of doctors labeled it “minor”, another group labeled it “significant”. Blockages are just not good.

Hope the best for Tommy.

13. randygnyc - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I should clarify that ultimately the grade of heart attack is assessed by the amount of damage the heart muscle suffers. Should have included that in my previous post.

14. dpeter11 - Jun 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I still am wondering what Tommy thought about Dave Kingman’s performance.

• laeaglefan - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

“I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to wonder who the first one will be to go up to him and ask him what he thought of the ER doc’s performance”

I’m sure he thinks more of the ER doc’s performance than he did of Kingman’s performance! But unlike Kingman, the doctor was on HIS team!

15. jimeejohnson - Jun 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

How can you not respect a guy that still works at age 84? Lasorda always knew talent, so it’s no surprise he was judging it, still.

16. jimbo75025 - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Hard for any genuine baseball fan not to like Tommy no matter what team you root for. One of the good guys in sports who is always ready with a smile and a joke who transcended the game a long time ago and is still at it. Get well soon coach.

17. omniusprime - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Get well soonest Tommy!!! All of us Dodger fans are bleeding Dodger Blue for you to recover and enjoy this excellent season. Thanks for all the great memories as manager!!!!

18. waynefontes - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM

When I was a kid, I had the chance to meet and spend a few minutes with Tommy Lasorda. He was such a nice man. Very kind to a 9 year old, and he asked me what position I played. I said shortstop, to which he said, “Well, Russell is getting kind of old.” He personalized his autograph, and also added, “to a future Dodger”. That didn’t pan out, but his kindness to me still stands out over 20 years later. I wish Mr. Lasorda a quick recovery and thanks – I know many in the sports world are jerks, but it’s nice to know that there are people like Tommy Lasorda.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2997)