Jun 5, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
C.J. Nitkowski is kinda hard on himself here — the dude did last ten years in the bigs — but sometimes that’s goes with self-awareness. He tweeted this on Sunday:
18th anniversary of me being taken 9th overall in the MLB draft. I often reminisce about how many people were fired over that decision.
— CJ Nitkowski (@CJNitkowski) June 3, 2012
In other “the draft is a crapshoot, so let’s all calm down” news, Rob Neyer makes a great point today: the vast majority of guys taken in this thing will flame out and we’ll never hear of them. Even the high-rounders. So why don’t we stop comparing everyone who is picked to established All-Stars.
It’s the footballification of the draft, I suppose. You put the thing on TV and you have to say something. And if you put it on TV you want to draw in as many people as you can, so you have to say something provocative or broad or widely relatable, even if it isn’t particularly reasonable.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte