And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 6, 2012, 6:51 AM EDT

Bryce Harper AP

Nationals 7, Mets 6: The legend of Bryce Harper grows. A game-winning hit in the 12th inning. What say you, Harper?

“I’m happy to get the W, of course. I’m happy to get that walk-off hit, but I don’t like going 2 for 7,” Harper said. “I don’t like striking out twice in one game, either.”

Bryce … we talked about the me-first stuff …

“To get that moment at the end, that wipes everything away,” Harper said.

OK, good. Just checking, because everyone’s watching, kid.

Braves 11, Marlins 0: Tim Hudson with a five-hit shutout and Dan Uggla hit two homers and drove in five against his old team. Rookie Andrelton Simmons had three hits including a triple and drove in three. That’s coming up big. Of course everything about him’s big. Kid, do us all a favor and buy yourself a jock, OK? You’re gonna hurt someone out there.

Dodgers 2, Phillies 1: Cliff Lee: 12 strikeouts and two runs in 7 2/3 innings but he still took the loss. That’s nine starts and no wins despite a 2.92 ERA. Chad Billingsley tied up the Philly bats, allowing six singles, a double and only one run in seven innings.

Angels 6, Mariners 1: Mark Trumbo smacked two homers, doubled, singled and drove in four. His line on the year is .337/.384/.634.

Cubs 10, Brewers 0: Ryan Dempster gets out of the Cliff Lee club, finally gets some run support and a win. He was perfect through five innings, but the aw shucks Dempster wasn’t about to say anything about it:

“Yeah, I was thinking about a perfect game for sure,” Dempster said. “I’m not an idiot. I know that I hadn’t had anybody on base. But it’s the second-best thing: a win right here.”

Dude, talk to Bryce Harper’s media relations team, OK?

Diamondbacks 10, Rockies 0: Ian Kennedy struck out 12 in six innings. Afterwards he said a mechanical tweak was responsible. What tweak?  “It’s a secret,” Kennedy said. Fine, be that way. Jason Kubel drove in five.

Indians 4, Tigers 2: Ubaldo Jimenez has been a hot mess this year, walking the whole league, but the Tigers made him look like it was 2010 all over again. Asdrubal CabreraLou Marson and Michael Brantley each hit RBI triples. I love triples. They’re so much damn fun.

Yankees 7, Rays 0: Andy Pettitte struck out ten while shutting out the Rays for seven. Russell Martin went 3 for 4 and hit a grand slam. New York has won 9 of 12.

Pirates 8, Reds 4: Clint Barmes had three hits and drove in three runs. The Pirates have hit seven homes in their last two games. Is what has been the worst offense in the NL starting to wake up?

Orioles 8, Red Sox 6:  Jim Johnson blew a two-run lead in the bottom of the ninth inning but held on to vulture a win. Wasn’t a pure vulture-job in that he came back and shut the Sox down in the tenth. And given how good he’s been — he had saved 25 straight coming in — he’s entitled to one of those every now and again. Baltimore is 4-0 in Fenway this year.

Blue Jays 9, White Sox 5: Colby Rasmus went 5 for 5 with a double, homer and 3 RBI. Brett Lawrie lead off and went 3 for 5 and scored three times. Interesting. Phil Humber continues his quest to cement himself as the most fluky perfect game pitcher ever, as he allows five runs in five innings and runs his ERA up to 5.68.  Seriously: how many guys have thrown perfectos and lost their rotation job in the same season?

Astros 9, Cardinals 8: Houston led 6-1 after two innings, saw the lead shrink, built it back up again and managed to hold on as St. Louis put up four in the ninth. Jose Altuve responded to your collective snubbing of him in the All-Star voting by going 4 for 5 and scoring 3 runs. Jaime Garcia looks totally off, and is clearly not better after missing a start due to a sore elbow.

Royals 1, Twins 0: Bruce Chen shut ‘em out for seven and the pen took over.

Rangers 6, Athletics 3: Texas survives Oakland’s offensive outburst. Well, an outburst for them. Derek Holland struck out two, walked two and allowed three runs on seven hits, so it’s likely that he avoided a spanking.

Padres 6, Giants 5:  Logan Forsythe‘s first ever home run was a walkoff job:

“I was just trying to get on base for the guys. Luckily, it got out,” he said.

Kids these days with their selfish attitude.

1. Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Ugh. Feesh and visitors stink after three innings. Funny how I mentioned to stex yesterday morning that there were times when our respective rooting interests would go out on the field without bothering to show up, or some such thing. Well, the Rainbow Warriors must have heard me because they all sent their pod personae out last night. John Buck went one for three and hiked his average to a dizzying .168. Really makes you nostalgic for Mike Treanor, doesn’t it? Chris Coghlan and Bryan Petersen took collars, too, dumping Coghlan to .160 and Peterson face-down on the Mendoza line. Not that the top or middle of the order showed up yesterday, but the bottom of the Feesh order continues to be a light-sucking singularity.

Feesh fertilizer: Noteworthy is that one of Dan Uggla’s two bombs hit Tommy right in the cojones and the midfield monstrosity didn’t even flinch. Anibal Sanchez has the Braves in his head. Chad Gaudin needs to be sent back down for a little more seasoning after he got rolled in cheesecloth and pounded like veal for four more runs in his mercifully limited one inning stint. Me, I would either just fry him up and serve him with crossed anchovies and a fried egg to one of the homeless cannibal zombies out on the Romero Causeway, or at least have him processed for Soylent Green at this point.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It’s probably all that disgusting squid they’ve eaten weighing them down. Chad Gaudin looked awesome for a bit with the Yankees, but was just a batting practice hitter after that.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Make that a Batting Practice Pitcher.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Speaking of Soylent Green, sort of, RIP Ray Bradbury today at 91. I’m taking the rest of the day off to re-read Something Wicked this way Comes, the novel that taught me how to have productive nightmares in my youth and helped toughen me up enough to withstand last season’s implosion by the Feesh.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

That was the book I was going to re-read from him.

• stex52 - Jun 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Astros were ahead 9-4 in the 7th. I told my wife I would come on in to bed because if they lost this one, I wouldn’t sleep for two days. Ended up 9-8. Glad I went to bed. The sphincter would probably still be clenched.

Martian Chronicles for me. I’m big into not liking the human race as a group lately.

Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, Zelazny, Heinlein, Dick, Vonnegut, Leiber…….. The giants of sci-fi past are gone.

Ou sont les neiges d’antan??

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Never did think of Vonnegut as a pure sci-fi writer per se, although a lot of critics did – mostly, sci-fi fans who had an inferiority complex about their genre and wanted a truly “literary” icon representing them. Same thing, sort of, for big fans of westerns who took Cormac McCarthy to their hearts for being the world-class “literary” icon that they always wanted. Bradbury fulfilled that role for his fans, too. But to me, Vonnegut will always be the supreme parodist, and sci-fi was just one of the convenient forms he used to play games with our heads – and, more importantly, consciences.

• stex52 - Jun 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I agree with your assessment of Vonnegut. I was just lumping authors a little bit. Curious that I did the lumping and left out Tolkien. But he’s been dead a long time. More in the ’40′s anyway.

2. jarathen - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Hey, the Angels won 6-1, not 6-2, behind the mighty Garret Richards.

Trumbo and Trout are the future of this club. Which is good, because Albert Pujols so far looks like Vernon Wells.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Come on, Wells never bulked up like that.

• kiwicricket - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Wells doesn’t varnish his head

3. proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Colby Rasmus looks very happy and contented these days. He has finally gotten over the toxic environment created by The Great Leader. He has formed a solid relationship with hitting coach Dwayne Murphy and has modified his swing and has moved closer to the plate. The changes are working. To those Rasmus haters out there who bought into the bile spread by LaRussa, go stuff it.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Come on now P.C…. I clearly remember you taking several verbal jabs at the elder Rasmus when Colby joined the club. Discussing how his Father is in his head…he needs to remove himself from the situation, etc… Now it’s all TLR’s fault?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

I have no memory of my taking shots at his father. Regardless, St. Louis was a toxic situation for Rasmus. I have never seen him appear to be as happy as he is now.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

His overbearing parents might have had something to do with the toxicity level too

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

If Rasmus continues to do well on his own, under the aegis of the instructors he’s supposed to be listening to, his idiot father’s meddling will soon dwindle down to dull, distant buzz in his ear, like a construction project going on five blocks away.

4. kiwicricket - Jun 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I’m hoping the extra time taken this morning wasn’t spent googling pictures of Andrelton Simmons.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

You are probably not too far off Kiwi.

5. uyf1950 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Imagine this Yankee fans surprise when Russell Martin actually contributed something offensively to a Yankees win. And oh btw, Andy just look great getting his 3rd win. It won’t be long before the Yankees are sitting atop the AL East division.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I suspect that you are right about the Yankees moving into first place in the AL East soon; however; I am not convinced that they can remain there.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Really, even Freddie Garcia pitching 1.2 innings of shutout ball isn’t enough to convince you? You are a tough customer, sir.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Tough customer? Nah! I am a Jays fan and expect my team to get hot in the second half of the season.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, they ALWAYS are a second half team. Wait, WHAT???
        Sorry, PC, couldn’t resist

6. Tim OShenko - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Yes, the Replacements lost, which is unsurprising these days. And yes, they mustered only five hits against a normally weak Regency pitching staff, which is slightly more surprising. Still, there was a silver lining to be found at last night’s game: what figured to be a race to the bullpen between the Replacements and Regency quickly became a pitcher’s duel. After Liriano’s horrifying start to the season, he’s managed two quality starts in a row. Only Cliff Lee did more for his team with nothing to show for it last night.

And so the Replacements will enter interleague play tomorrow fresh off a two-game losing streak (Nick “The White Flag” Blackburn takes the mound tonight); hopefully Mauer’s metacarpal will have mended by then.

• card0109 - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Twins have only lost one game. They won the game on Monday against the Royals, 10-7.

Normally, I wouldn’t care about this menial point, but we’ve gotta keep hold of the wins when we get ‘em.

• Tim OShenko - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Yes, I know they won on Monday. I’m actually predicting a loss tonight, what with Blackburn taking the hill, which is where the “two-game losing streak” comes into it. Am I pessimistic? You bet. Is it too early to call the game lost? Perhaps.

I do agree, though, that every Twins win is to be cherised, as you never know when the next one will come around.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM

” That’s nine starts and no wins despite a 2.92 ERA.”

That’s a new record I think. Most losses to begin a season with a sub 3.00 era.

8. bleed4philly - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Cliff Lee should have 6 wins already.

• antlerclaws - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

He had his chance to re-sign with Texas.

9. Kevin S. - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

The Yanks are absolutely playing better, but this division is going to be a dogfight until the end. The Beast is going to get both Wild Card spots, and I would not be surprised with any three-team combination making the playoffs.

As for Harper, he should be upset with himself if he has a bad night. Happiness or sadness in the team outcome is distinct from satisfaction or dissatisfaction in one’s personal performance, and it’s important to keep the two separate after the game.

• someguyinva - Jun 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I think you’re generally right about the distinctions in team outcome vs. personal performance, with the caveat that it’s never okay to say, “We lost, but at least I played well.” It doesn’t matter who you are; that just won’t fly.

• natstowngreg - Jun 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Agreed. Haven’t heard him talk about being happy if he played well and the team lost. But then, when he’s played well, the Nats seem to win more often than lose.

Harper looked pretty happy on the field after winning the game, despite his “poor” performance. Which, BTW, works out to a .286 BA, about what he’s hitting overall. Also works out to 324 Ks over a 162-game season, but that’s not going to continue. In 144 plate appearances, he has 23 Ks and 17 BBs, and a .375 OBP. I actually expected him to strike out more and walk less, so his plate patience has been a pleasant surprise.

10. yankeefanincolo - Jun 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Clearly, Cliff Lee does not know how to win!

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

If he can manage to keep is ERA down and lose 30-35 games, he’ll be the NL Cy Young winner according to the King Felix principle. I expect to see Craig leading the charge to get him that award.

You hear that, Craig? Or is there “life” in your ears?

11. The Dangerous Mabry - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

The Mets bullpen and defense would like to thank you for making this a story about Bryce Harper, and not a story about, say, the 7 outs they gave the Nats in the 10th inning, or the botched double play in the 8th which allowed the tying run to score there, or maybe the ball thrown to the backstop in the fifth which resulted in a run, or Elvin Ramirez’s complete inability to throw a strike to the opposing pitcher, or….

Well, yeah. Bryce Harper. Nice story.

• natstowngreg - Jun 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

It was difficult to tell whether the Mets were Alphonse and the Nats Gaston, or vice versa. They took turns giving away the game until the bottom of the 12th, when the Mets said “no, you take it” one too many times and the Nats finally said, “yes, we will, thank you.” From the 7th inning on, it was one of the uglier games one will see this season.

Young Mr. Harper continually fails to live up to his repuration as an immature jerk. The potential for jerkdom is still there, but he’s kept it under wraps thus far.

12. jlovenotjlo - Jun 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Robin Venutura leaves Independent League-worthy Zach Stewart in to ensure a loss. “Hey, you can’t win ‘em all”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3881)