Jun 6, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
68 years ago today Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy and ushered in the beginning of the end for Nazism. I’m not good at putting such things in perspective, and finding connections to great historical events and baseball can be a tricky and often foolish business, but that’s what we do here sometimes.
You’ve probably heard about Yogi Berra taking part in D-Day. If not, here’s a great story about it from several years ago from MLB.com.
You probably haven’t heard about Lefty Brewer. Assuming not, here’s a great story about him and others like him.
It won’t be too long before living memory of D-Day and everything else from that time is gone. So do history and yourself a favor and seek out stuff like that whenever you can. And remember it.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 26
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 9
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games