Jun 6, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
68 years ago today Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy and ushered in the beginning of the end for Nazism. I’m not good at putting such things in perspective, and finding connections to great historical events and baseball can be a tricky and often foolish business, but that’s what we do here sometimes.
You’ve probably heard about Yogi Berra taking part in D-Day. If not, here’s a great story about it from several years ago from MLB.com.
You probably haven’t heard about Lefty Brewer. Assuming not, here’s a great story about him and others like him.
It won’t be too long before living memory of D-Day and everything else from that time is gone. So do history and yourself a favor and seek out stuff like that whenever you can. And remember it.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (151)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)