Jun 6, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
68 years ago today Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy and ushered in the beginning of the end for Nazism. I’m not good at putting such things in perspective, and finding connections to great historical events and baseball can be a tricky and often foolish business, but that’s what we do here sometimes.
You’ve probably heard about Yogi Berra taking part in D-Day. If not, here’s a great story about it from several years ago from MLB.com.
You probably haven’t heard about Lefty Brewer. Assuming not, here’s a great story about him and others like him.
It won’t be too long before living memory of D-Day and everything else from that time is gone. So do history and yourself a favor and seek out stuff like that whenever you can. And remember it.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)