Jun 6, 2012, 8:31 AM EDT
68 years ago today Allied forces stormed the beaches of Normandy and ushered in the beginning of the end for Nazism. I’m not good at putting such things in perspective, and finding connections to great historical events and baseball can be a tricky and often foolish business, but that’s what we do here sometimes.
You’ve probably heard about Yogi Berra taking part in D-Day. If not, here’s a great story about it from several years ago from MLB.com.
You probably haven’t heard about Lefty Brewer. Assuming not, here’s a great story about him and others like him.
It won’t be too long before living memory of D-Day and everything else from that time is gone. So do history and yourself a favor and seek out stuff like that whenever you can. And remember it.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)