Jun 6, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Jarrod Parker took a no-hitter into the eighth inning Monday night against the Rangers, eventually losing it on a Michael Young single with six outs to go, but manager Bob Melvin revealed that the A’s rookie wouldn’t have been allowed to complete the no-hitter anyway.
Parker, who came back from Tommy John elbow surgery last season and is just 23 years old, finished the eighth inning with 111 pitches. That’s just two short of his career-high and likely would have meant throwing at least 120-130 pitches to complete the no-hitter, which Melvin wasn’t going to allow.
Or as Melvin put it:
That was the most miserable couple of innings that you could ever imagine … So I’m not rooting for a hit, but it certainly didn’t break my heart when Michael Young got that hit, because this kid’s too important to us. It was difficult to watch.
I’m sure White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper thinks Melvin is silly, but for whatever it’s worth opposing manager Ron Washington agreed with Melvin’s stance, telling Jane Lee of MLB.com: “My mind was in the same place.”
Parker ended up exiting after eight innings of shutout, one-hit ball and now has a 2.40 ERA through eight starts, including two or fewer runs allowed in all but one outing.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)