Jun 6, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Jarrod Parker took a no-hitter into the eighth inning Monday night against the Rangers, eventually losing it on a Michael Young single with six outs to go, but manager Bob Melvin revealed that the A’s rookie wouldn’t have been allowed to complete the no-hitter anyway.
Parker, who came back from Tommy John elbow surgery last season and is just 23 years old, finished the eighth inning with 111 pitches. That’s just two short of his career-high and likely would have meant throwing at least 120-130 pitches to complete the no-hitter, which Melvin wasn’t going to allow.
Or as Melvin put it:
That was the most miserable couple of innings that you could ever imagine … So I’m not rooting for a hit, but it certainly didn’t break my heart when Michael Young got that hit, because this kid’s too important to us. It was difficult to watch.
I’m sure White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper thinks Melvin is silly, but for whatever it’s worth opposing manager Ron Washington agreed with Melvin’s stance, telling Jane Lee of MLB.com: “My mind was in the same place.”
Parker ended up exiting after eight innings of shutout, one-hit ball and now has a 2.40 ERA through eight starts, including two or fewer runs allowed in all but one outing.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 10
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (128)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)