Jun 6, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Jarrod Parker took a no-hitter into the eighth inning Monday night against the Rangers, eventually losing it on a Michael Young single with six outs to go, but manager Bob Melvin revealed that the A’s rookie wouldn’t have been allowed to complete the no-hitter anyway.
Parker, who came back from Tommy John elbow surgery last season and is just 23 years old, finished the eighth inning with 111 pitches. That’s just two short of his career-high and likely would have meant throwing at least 120-130 pitches to complete the no-hitter, which Melvin wasn’t going to allow.
Or as Melvin put it:
That was the most miserable couple of innings that you could ever imagine … So I’m not rooting for a hit, but it certainly didn’t break my heart when Michael Young got that hit, because this kid’s too important to us. It was difficult to watch.
I’m sure White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper thinks Melvin is silly, but for whatever it’s worth opposing manager Ron Washington agreed with Melvin’s stance, telling Jane Lee of MLB.com: “My mind was in the same place.”
Parker ended up exiting after eight innings of shutout, one-hit ball and now has a 2.40 ERA through eight starts, including two or fewer runs allowed in all but one outing.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 142
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 66
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (144)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)