Jun 6, 2012, 11:16 PM EST
It’s Morrow’s second shutout in four starts; he also tossed a three-hitter against the Mets on May 19.
Morrow had the big outing tonight despite just five strikeouts. Morrow finished with some of the best strikeout rates in the majors in 2010 (10.9 K/9 IP) and ’11 (10.2 K/9 IP), but he ended those years with ERAs of 4.49 and 4.72. This year, he has a more modest 7.8 K/9 IP, but it hasn’t stopped him from amassing a fine 2.90 ERA and an exceptional 0.99 WHIP to date.
If the new Morrow is here to stay, the Jays could have an imposing rotation led by he, Ricky Romero and Henderson Alvarez the next few years. They also possess a minor league system stocked with about as many quality arms as any in the league.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)