Jun 6, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve joked about Derek Holland shaving his mustache and about how Ron Washington might spank him if he pitches poorly, but there is actually some serious stuff going down with the Rangers’ starter. Jeff Fletcher from ESPNDallas:
After Holland weaved his way through 5 1/3 innings in the Texas Rangers’ 6-3 victory over the Oakland A’s, the left-hander said that he’s lost 10 to 15 pounds in the past 2½ weeks because of a stomach virus.
“I’m kinda puzzled by it,” said Holland, who added that he’s had no further tests to determine if he has anything more serious than a simple digestive issue. “I’ve just got to keep plugging away and get that weight back and I’ll be all right. I’m not freaking out.”
He’s messing with his diet and medications. But even if things get under control immediately, losing that kind of weight so fast takes a lot out of a person, so his recent erratic play is kind of understandable.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him