Jun 6, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve joked about Derek Holland shaving his mustache and about how Ron Washington might spank him if he pitches poorly, but there is actually some serious stuff going down with the Rangers’ starter. Jeff Fletcher from ESPNDallas:
After Holland weaved his way through 5 1/3 innings in the Texas Rangers’ 6-3 victory over the Oakland A’s, the left-hander said that he’s lost 10 to 15 pounds in the past 2½ weeks because of a stomach virus.
“I’m kinda puzzled by it,” said Holland, who added that he’s had no further tests to determine if he has anything more serious than a simple digestive issue. “I’ve just got to keep plugging away and get that weight back and I’ll be all right. I’m not freaking out.”
He’s messing with his diet and medications. But even if things get under control immediately, losing that kind of weight so fast takes a lot out of a person, so his recent erratic play is kind of understandable.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 20
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 88
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)