Doesn’t sound like Ryan Dempster is gonna invoke his 10-5 rights

Jun 6, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Ryan Dempster AP

Ryan Dempster is realistic and he seems to want to pitch for a contender, so it’s no surprise that he sounds cool with waiving his 10-5 rights. Here is talking about a possible trade:

“You’re in a situation where if it does happen, they are going to do what’s best for the Chicago Cubs, and I’m all for that … I don’t know what direction they want to go, I don’t know any of those answers. Whatever it ends up being, I’ll have to take a look at it and see what’s the best for me, best for the Cubs and I respect that and I understand that … Hopefully I’m here, but if not it’s somewhere that can ultimately give them the best opportunity to improve the Cubs for the future.”

He made the proper noises about wanting to help the Cubs win now, etc., but nope, it doesn’t sound like he’d be broken up by going to a contender.  And given how he’s pitched this year, a lot of contenders could use his services.

1. thomas2727 - Jun 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Still hate the guy after he said the Cubs would win the World Series in 2008. Then in the first game of the NLDS he proceeded to walk 7 Dodgers in less than 5 innings. Way to back up the big talk.

Here is hoping Jed can get at least one decent prospect for him.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Dempster would be willing to give up his hard won 10-5 privileges to leave the Cubs? Hell, that’s like giving up your plush Victorian stateroom for a mere lifeboat seat on the Titanic. Who’d’a thunk it?

2. proudlycanadian - Jun 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

If he is pitching well, Dempster makes more sense for Toronto than Garza. Please send him back to his native land Theo.

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

You’re letting your better judgment be clouded by nationalistic sentiment. Trading for Dempster just to return him to Canada would be the baseball equivalent of Meech Lake. Better: we’ll send you Tweeter for Lawrie, then you can trade Tweeter to the Cubs, who are desperate for a .230-hitting first baseman with a .140 RISP, for Garza. We’ll move Lawrie to third, then move the Hanster behind the plate, and send John Buck off to the Soylent Green plant. Everybody wins.

• vivabear - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This is neither funny nor realistic.

• Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Hilarious. I’ve fished bluefish in a feeding frenzy – they’ll go after unbaited hooks, shadows on the water, plastic package wrappers and floating cigarette butts, but no blue I’ve ever hooked hit the bait harder or with with less conscious predetermination. You are a hopeless, pathologically obsessed dummy, and on top of that, you’ve gotten so predictable that even a celebrity golf tournament couldn’t be as boring.

• vivabear - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Oh right…my bad, I didn’t realize accurate assessments of shitty comments were so funny.

• Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

It will come as no surprise to anyone who has followed your tedious history of witless trolling here that you didn’t realize something.

Incidentally, are there any other grammatical rules or conventions upon which you would like to pronounce another crock of misinformation today, or was “neither/nor” the limit of your ignorant bumptiousness on this subject? Now, if you’d like, you could always launch a disquisition on “lie and lay” or the formation of possessive plurals.

I’ll bring the red ink.

• vivabear - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

The fact that you use the term “trolling” pretty much tells anyone all they need to know about you.

No thanks…not interested in discussing any lies or lays with you. That kinda frightens me, actually. Especially when you add the fact you appear to want to role play where your some kind of teacher/disciplinarian.

3. bmoreballers - Jun 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I remember when this guy played for the marlins and sucked

• Old Gator - Jun 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

At one time, he was also their star righthander. He’s had an up and down career.

4. gmsingh - Jun 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM

So far it looks like Theo Epstein’s goal is to make the Cubbies the most unrecognizable team in baseball.

1. H. Pence (2182)