Jun 6, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been out since early May with a partially torn left hamstring, but the Rays third baseman said today that he’s close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Longoria told Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times that he hopes to start a rehab stint by the end of this week and, barring a setback, return from the disabled list by the middle of this month.
Tampa Bay has used five different third basemen in Longoria’s absence, with Sean Rodriguez and Drew Sutton seeing most of the action there recently. With Longoria in the lineup the Rays were 15-8, compared to 16-16 since his injury.
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 26
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)