Jun 6, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been out since early May with a partially torn left hamstring, but the Rays third baseman said today that he’s close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Longoria told Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times that he hopes to start a rehab stint by the end of this week and, barring a setback, return from the disabled list by the middle of this month.
Tampa Bay has used five different third basemen in Longoria’s absence, with Sean Rodriguez and Drew Sutton seeing most of the action there recently. With Longoria in the lineup the Rays were 15-8, compared to 16-16 since his injury.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)