Jun 6, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
Evan Longoria has been out since early May with a partially torn left hamstring, but the Rays third baseman said today that he’s close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Longoria told Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times that he hopes to start a rehab stint by the end of this week and, barring a setback, return from the disabled list by the middle of this month.
Tampa Bay has used five different third basemen in Longoria’s absence, with Sean Rodriguez and Drew Sutton seeing most of the action there recently. With Longoria in the lineup the Rays were 15-8, compared to 16-16 since his injury.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)