Jun 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
MLB’s new slotting system for draft pick signing bonuses seemingly doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for the negotiating shenanigans of past years, but leave it to Scott Boras to show otherwise.
Sixth overall pick Albert Amora hasn’t officially signed with an agent yet, but he’s being “advised” by Boras and predictably they’ve already made it known that he won’t sign with the Cubs for the $3.25 million slot bonus for where he was picked:
My main priority now is college. I just graduated high school and I have a full scholarship to the University of Miami, and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.
But we’ll have to see what happens when it’s time. I’m ready to play in the major leagues. In my mind right now, I trust my opinions and I know what I can do on the field. That’s not the priority right now. The priority right now is we have to let the process play out and let the cards fall where they have to fall.
Obviously the Cubs wouldn’t have drafted Almora with the sixth overall pick if they truly felt he was headed to college, but the 18-year-old outfielder from Florida is trying to use whatever leverage he has to get a bigger chunk of the team’s overall bonus allotment of $7.9 million.
That money is supposed to cover all of the Cubs’ draft picks, not just Almora, but they could potentially give him more than the $3.25 million set aside for the No. 6 pick and then find a way to pinch pennies with other players.
One nice thing about the changes to the draft process is that the new signing deadline is mid-July, rather than mid-August, so the negotiations can only drag on for a month.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 0
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)