Jun 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
MLB’s new slotting system for draft pick signing bonuses seemingly doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for the negotiating shenanigans of past years, but leave it to Scott Boras to show otherwise.
Sixth overall pick Albert Amora hasn’t officially signed with an agent yet, but he’s being “advised” by Boras and predictably they’ve already made it known that he won’t sign with the Cubs for the $3.25 million slot bonus for where he was picked:
My main priority now is college. I just graduated high school and I have a full scholarship to the University of Miami, and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.
But we’ll have to see what happens when it’s time. I’m ready to play in the major leagues. In my mind right now, I trust my opinions and I know what I can do on the field. That’s not the priority right now. The priority right now is we have to let the process play out and let the cards fall where they have to fall.
Obviously the Cubs wouldn’t have drafted Almora with the sixth overall pick if they truly felt he was headed to college, but the 18-year-old outfielder from Florida is trying to use whatever leverage he has to get a bigger chunk of the team’s overall bonus allotment of $7.9 million.
That money is supposed to cover all of the Cubs’ draft picks, not just Almora, but they could potentially give him more than the $3.25 million set aside for the No. 6 pick and then find a way to pinch pennies with other players.
One nice thing about the changes to the draft process is that the new signing deadline is mid-July, rather than mid-August, so the negotiations can only drag on for a month.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)