Jun 6, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Day 3 of the draft is going on right now and the Orioles just used their 20th-round pick on Cal Ripken Jr.’s son, 6-foot-6 high school first baseman Ryan Ripken.
Baseball America didn’t have Ryan Ripken among their top 500 prospects for the draft, although in fairness more than 500 players had already been taken by the time the Orioles selected him.
Orioles blog Camden Depot notes that Ripken is committed to playing college ball at South Carolina if he opts not to sign, although presumably the team’s scouting department had a little inside information regarding his intentions.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)