Jun 6, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Day 3 of the draft is going on right now and the Orioles just used their 20th-round pick on Cal Ripken Jr.’s son, 6-foot-6 high school first baseman Ryan Ripken.
Baseball America didn’t have Ryan Ripken among their top 500 prospects for the draft, although in fairness more than 500 players had already been taken by the time the Orioles selected him.
Orioles blog Camden Depot notes that Ripken is committed to playing college ball at South Carolina if he opts not to sign, although presumably the team’s scouting department had a little inside information regarding his intentions.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)