Jun 6, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Day 3 of the draft is going on right now and the Orioles just used their 20th-round pick on Cal Ripken Jr.’s son, 6-foot-6 high school first baseman Ryan Ripken.
Baseball America didn’t have Ryan Ripken among their top 500 prospects for the draft, although in fairness more than 500 players had already been taken by the time the Orioles selected him.
Orioles blog Camden Depot notes that Ripken is committed to playing college ball at South Carolina if he opts not to sign, although presumably the team’s scouting department had a little inside information regarding his intentions.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 9
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)