Jun 6, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Day 3 of the draft is going on right now and the Orioles just used their 20th-round pick on Cal Ripken Jr.’s son, 6-foot-6 high school first baseman Ryan Ripken.
Baseball America didn’t have Ryan Ripken among their top 500 prospects for the draft, although in fairness more than 500 players had already been taken by the time the Orioles selected him.
Orioles blog Camden Depot notes that Ripken is committed to playing college ball at South Carolina if he opts not to sign, although presumably the team’s scouting department had a little inside information regarding his intentions.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27