Jun 6, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
At the end of April there was a story about how the Yankees front office hated that people could buy tickets on StubHub cheaper than they could at the Yankees’ box office. It’s now June and they’re still hating it:
Yankee Stadium attendance is down 3.6 percent so far this year — greater than the 3 percent drop last season — and the team is blaming StubHub for its gate woes.
“We believe there are serious issues with the StubHub relationship,” team president Randy Levine told The Post yesterday. “We are actively reviewing more fan-friendly alternatives for next year.”
The only “fan-friendly” alternative that stops someone from selling something cheaper than you do is lowering your prices. Because dudes: people are going to StubHub because people are not interested in paying what you want them to for tickets. It’s called the free market, Mr. Levine. I could order you a pamphlet on it if you’d like.
If anything, StubHub should be mad at you. The basis of the relationship they have with MLB is that you guys will sell out all the time thereby allowing them to take a cut of everything sold above face value. If you guys can’t sell your tickets they can’t truly scalp anyone and they’re losing money!
Let me know when the apology comes.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)