Jun 6, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
At the end of April there was a story about how the Yankees front office hated that people could buy tickets on StubHub cheaper than they could at the Yankees’ box office. It’s now June and they’re still hating it:
Yankee Stadium attendance is down 3.6 percent so far this year — greater than the 3 percent drop last season — and the team is blaming StubHub for its gate woes.
“We believe there are serious issues with the StubHub relationship,” team president Randy Levine told The Post yesterday. “We are actively reviewing more fan-friendly alternatives for next year.”
The only “fan-friendly” alternative that stops someone from selling something cheaper than you do is lowering your prices. Because dudes: people are going to StubHub because people are not interested in paying what you want them to for tickets. It’s called the free market, Mr. Levine. I could order you a pamphlet on it if you’d like.
If anything, StubHub should be mad at you. The basis of the relationship they have with MLB is that you guys will sell out all the time thereby allowing them to take a cut of everything sold above face value. If you guys can’t sell your tickets they can’t truly scalp anyone and they’re losing money!
Let me know when the apology comes.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)