Jun 6, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Jaime Garcia was skipped in the Cardinals’ starting rotation last week and sent back to St. Louis for tests after reporting discomfort in his left elbow.
In his return Tuesday night, he surrendered six earned runs in just two innings to the Astros.
So back Garcia goes for additional testing.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the 25-year-old left-hander departed Houston on Wednesday for another visit with Cardinals doctors. He’ll have his elbow examined for a second time in two weeks, and team physicians will also look into his throwing shoulder and some soreness that has developed in his hip.
“All we know is something isn’t right,” Cards manager Mike Matheny told the Post-Dispatch.
“The focus is definitely on the shoulder,” added Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak.
Garcia had a 3.55 ERA on May 21. It’s now 4.48. He inked a four-year, $27.5 million extension in July 2011.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)