Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Texas’ rotation took another hit today, as the Rangers placed Derek Holland on the disabled list with “left shoulder fatigue.” He’s also lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks while dealing with a stomach virus.
To replace Holland on the roster they called up hard-throwing relief prospect Tanner Scheppers from Triple-A, where the 2009 first-round pick had a 3.72 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings as Round Rock’s closer.
He’ll be used to setup up Joe Nathan and the Rangers are shifting current setup man Alexi Ogando back into the rotation, where he spent all of last season while throwing 169 innings with a 3.51 ERA and 126/46 K/BB ratio.
Ogando has been lights out as a reliever this year, posting a 2.27 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, but the Texas pitching staff’s fantastic depth and versatility makes moves like this work. And they still have Roy Oswalt waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 104
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 32
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 259
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (259)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (105)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)