Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Texas’ rotation took another hit today, as the Rangers placed Derek Holland on the disabled list with “left shoulder fatigue.” He’s also lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks while dealing with a stomach virus.
To replace Holland on the roster they called up hard-throwing relief prospect Tanner Scheppers from Triple-A, where the 2009 first-round pick had a 3.72 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings as Round Rock’s closer.
He’ll be used to setup up Joe Nathan and the Rangers are shifting current setup man Alexi Ogando back into the rotation, where he spent all of last season while throwing 169 innings with a 3.51 ERA and 126/46 K/BB ratio.
Ogando has been lights out as a reliever this year, posting a 2.27 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, but the Texas pitching staff’s fantastic depth and versatility makes moves like this work. And they still have Roy Oswalt waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)