Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Texas’ rotation took another hit today, as the Rangers placed Derek Holland on the disabled list with “left shoulder fatigue.” He’s also lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks while dealing with a stomach virus.
To replace Holland on the roster they called up hard-throwing relief prospect Tanner Scheppers from Triple-A, where the 2009 first-round pick had a 3.72 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings as Round Rock’s closer.
He’ll be used to setup up Joe Nathan and the Rangers are shifting current setup man Alexi Ogando back into the rotation, where he spent all of last season while throwing 169 innings with a 3.51 ERA and 126/46 K/BB ratio.
Ogando has been lights out as a reliever this year, posting a 2.27 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, but the Texas pitching staff’s fantastic depth and versatility makes moves like this work. And they still have Roy Oswalt waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)