Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Texas’ rotation took another hit today, as the Rangers placed Derek Holland on the disabled list with “left shoulder fatigue.” He’s also lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks while dealing with a stomach virus.
To replace Holland on the roster they called up hard-throwing relief prospect Tanner Scheppers from Triple-A, where the 2009 first-round pick had a 3.72 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings as Round Rock’s closer.
He’ll be used to setup up Joe Nathan and the Rangers are shifting current setup man Alexi Ogando back into the rotation, where he spent all of last season while throwing 169 innings with a 3.51 ERA and 126/46 K/BB ratio.
Ogando has been lights out as a reliever this year, posting a 2.27 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, but the Texas pitching staff’s fantastic depth and versatility makes moves like this work. And they still have Roy Oswalt waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)