Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Texas’ rotation took another hit today, as the Rangers placed Derek Holland on the disabled list with “left shoulder fatigue.” He’s also lost 15 pounds in the past two weeks while dealing with a stomach virus.
To replace Holland on the roster they called up hard-throwing relief prospect Tanner Scheppers from Triple-A, where the 2009 first-round pick had a 3.72 ERA and 27/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings as Round Rock’s closer.
He’ll be used to setup up Joe Nathan and the Rangers are shifting current setup man Alexi Ogando back into the rotation, where he spent all of last season while throwing 169 innings with a 3.51 ERA and 126/46 K/BB ratio.
Ogando has been lights out as a reliever this year, posting a 2.27 ERA and 33/7 K/BB ratio in 32 innings, but the Texas pitching staff’s fantastic depth and versatility makes moves like this work. And they still have Roy Oswalt waiting in the wings at Triple-A.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)