And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 7, 2012, 5:50 AM EDT

Zack Greinke

Brewers 8, Cubs 0: Zack Greinke mowed ‘em down (7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 12K). That young man is gonna make a lot of money when he hits free agency this fall.

Blue Jays 4, White Sox 0: Brandon Morrow tosses a two-hit shutout. Dude has really put it all together this year.

Braves 2, Marlins 1: Randall Delgado and the holy trinity of Venters, O’Flaherty and Kimbrel two-hit the Fish. Freddie Freeman left the game with a hand injury sustained while sliding into second and Jose Reyes‘ relay throw hit him in the hand. Total b.s.: second base umpire Adrian Johnson called Freeman out for interference even though there was obviously zero intent on his part to mess with the throw. He was just in a normal sliding motion. Between this and the Santana no-hitter call it has not been a great week for Adrian Johnson.

Reds 5, Pirates 4: Lovin’ a meaningful battle between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, guys. It’s like the 70s all over again. Except the Reds are no longer in the NL West, which never made a lick of sense to me, but whatever. Ryan Ludwick drives in three.

Nationals 5, Mets 3: Adam LaRoche hit a three-run homer and drove in four overall as the Nats keep their two-game lead in the East. I think the phrase I’ve uttered on radio broadcasts more than any other in the past two weeks is “the Nats are for real.”

Orioles 2, Red Sox 1: Baltimore really needs to find some way to make their games against the Sox in Fenway more challenging. Maybe they can spot Boston a run or make the pitcher bat or something.  It’s the seventh straight win by the O’s in Boston and 12th of 15.

Indians 9, Tigers 6: Michael Brantley hit a three-run homer in the first that would not have happened if it wasn’t for Brendan Boesch misplaying one in right to extend the inning. Just the prettiest bunch of baseball we’ve seen played by the Tigers this year.

Giants 6, Padres 5: The Giants have won eight of 10 overall, beating up once again on the lowly Padres. I know I’ve mentioned it a lot, but I can’t wait to take my kids to their first big league game in San Diego a week from Monday. Knowing them, they’ll instantly become Padres fans. Which I suppose is nice because it means that they’ll never have that complacent, not-satisfied-with-anything-but-first-place fan attitude.

Yankees 4, Rays 1: Ivan Nova gave up one run over eight innings. Homers from Teixeira and Cano, RBI doubles from Swisher and Chavez.

Dodgers 6, Phillies 5: Chris Capuano can give up four runs in five innings and get his eighth win. Cliff Lee looks longingly from the opposing dugout. Freddy Galvis left the game with back pain. Because the Phillies need an injury to an infielder.

Twins 4, Royals 2: Results schmesults. The thing that mattered the most here was Felipe Paulino leaving the game due to a strained groin after throwing 13 pitches.

Cardinals 4, Astros 3: St. Louis jumped out to a 4-0 lead after three and then held on. Allen Craig with a homer and an RBI single.

Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 1: Paul Goldschmidt homered and drove in three. He has a 14 game hitting streak.

Athletics 2, Rangers 0: Bartolo Colon allowed five hits while shutting out the Rangers over eight. Yoenis Cespedes singled, doubled, tripled, drove in a run and scored. Cespedes is batting .375 (9-for-24) with a home run and five RBIs in six games since coming off the DL.

Mariners 8, Angels 6: Michael Saunders had another great game and finishes up the M’s road trip having gone 19-for-39 with two homers and five driven in.

1. uyf1950 - Jun 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Nova pitched an excellent game. Giving up just 2 hits through 8 innings. Girardi gave him a chance to complete the game but after giving up 2 back to back triples Nova’s day was done. But no harm done still a great outing by Nova and a Yankees win. That really makes 4 excellent outings by the Yankees starters in a row. Three of those outings wins the 1 loss was Kuroda’s game but he still pitched 7 innings of 2 run ball in that game.

One other comment about yesterdays Yankees/Rays game. It looks like Soriano has been a God send with Mo being lost for the season and Robertson being on the DL since May 14th. Still think his contract was for to much money and to many years but hey it’s not my money.

2. number42is1 - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM

no dodgers score Craig? shocked! normal east coast bias

3. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 6:12 AM

I’ve rubbed my eyes and dripped holistic eye drops in ‘em and I’m still seeing Brandon Morrow double. Craig really let his Department of Redundancy Depatment run amok this morning. Or did life interfere yet again? Life? Two days in a row?What kind of nonsense is this?

Anyway, here are some stats that the Feesh’s dooughty announcing team related after last night’s A’s-like decbacle: over 425 at-bats the Feesh’s bottom of the ordure – collectively comprised of Tweeter, Petersen, Coghlan, Buck and Murphy are hitting .185 collectively at the bottom of the order over 425 at-bats. I haven’t had the heart to look at the butt-end’s RBI totals, which are so low they’re practically hypothetical, and I haven’t had the heart to look at them. It can’t be soon enough before Austin Kearns and Emilio Bonifacio return from the DL, which can’t be soon enough. The announcers didn’t separate the bottom of the ordure’s RISP from that of the rest of the team, but I never did learn properly how to read all those funny little squiggles and symbols that follow the minus sign anyway, and the announcers didn’t separate them from the rest of the team’s. However, I strongly suspect there’s a Higgs boson hiding somewhere in those stats like a Higgs boson.

Theo: you can have Tweeter now if you want him. The Feesh will be happy to take Garza off your hands now. They were only keedding.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Great double play by Craig and Matthew. The score in the Jays game would have been much more one sided if it had not been for some fine glove work by the Pale Hose infield. The O Dog cost his old team at least 2 runs with his glove. Bautista is still having an off year. He only has 15 home runs and 40 RBI’s.

• Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Well lookie there, it now appears that Brandon Morrow was only the larval stage of Zack Greinke. Nifty sleight of hand there, Craig. Nothing goes with your morning coffee like metamorphosis.

• 4d3fect - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. indeed. You need to be persecuted to the full extent of the law, along with the trusswrappers.

• 4d3fect - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Waitaminnit–you’re baiting me, aren’t you?

• Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Yep. I was going to use the clam cakes but they had gotten too damp.

• stex52 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Watch the Firesign Theatre references. At least one other person on this blog is still alive and remembers them.

• Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

To some of us, the Firesigns are not a “memory” – they are a living, immanent presence.

• cur68 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I crawled forth from my noisome bed too late to appreciate the redundancy, alas. Wish he’d lead with Morrow and then gone with Grenike, but whatevs (as the man says). BMor was just brilliant last evening: kid looked like Greg Maddux out there, except with a 97mph heater. Had some excellent D behind him and his offence was all Rajai Davis, who pretty much owned A.J. Peirziskfhwihtuwski. APeir had the butter fingers, too. So far he he’s a had some passed balls, and dropped so many should-been-called-strikes I’m stunned he’s still their catcher. He’d make a much better DH right now. Contrast APeir with JP Arencibia’s gun-down of Lillibridge and the battle of the elite catchers was clearly won by the JAre. Beaver Boys go for the sweep tonight.

4. psuravens19 - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM

I hate Josh Beckett

• aceshigh11 - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Because of his personality (I agree) or his pitching (I disagree)?

Can’t blame last night on him, for once. Giving up 2 runs in 7 innings is a very solid performance. The Orioles simply out-pitched him by one run.

• psuravens19 - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

100% because of his personality… He was on last night and I’m surprised the O’s scored at all against him. After a well played game by both teams, Beckett decides not to speak to the media. He is a complete d-bag.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Remember a little of the “Compare and Contrast” thing from school.
    What is needed is the phrase “”Which brings us to…….” After the Giants-Padres recap.

6. ajcardsfan - Jun 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m glad the Cardinals have already stopped a sweep from occurring. Couldn’t take any more of these series where they prevent it in the last game… In other news, looks like I get to give my friend even more crap for being a Red Sox fans. To anybody from Boston, we wouldn’t give ya’ll such a hard time if you would quit making it so much fun.

7. stex52 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Norris started weakly for the Astros, but righted the ship and pitched pretty well after the second. But the story of the game was the bottom of the 5th. Wainwright loaded the bases and was facing the Astros’ main left-handed threats. He gave them a dazzling array of curves, off speed and fast balls and struck both out. Not exactly like the ’27 Yankees, but he showed some of his stuff. A high strike zone didn’t hurt either.

• umrguy42 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Gotta be honest, I saw “Wainwright vs Norris” in the pitching matchup, and went, “ahh crap”, since for whatever reason, Norris has been a “Cardinals killer” the last year or so, IIRC. Will still miss the ‘Stros next season, though.

• stex52 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Once the Cards leave Houston, I’m back rooting for them. But for 18 games this year they have to live without me. One thing about the Rangers as rivals; I won’t feel conflicted. Always disliked them.

8. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

“Because the Phillies need an injury to an infielder.”

Ah, but they did get one back last night, sort of: Jim Thome. Not sure what you can count him as, probably more of PH than an infielder… He came up hacking last night, missing 2 cutters by 2 feet, then stared at strike 3… Jansen has really good movement on almost every pitch.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Pete Orr’s going to need some toll reimbursement for the Northeast Extension.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Ugh…make that Michael freakin’ Martinez. WTF?!?

9. Tim OShenko - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yesterday in this space I predicted a painful loss for the Replacements, as Blackburn would be hurling his patented non-sliding sliders to the delight of Hosmer and the Regency. Turns out the only accurate part of this prognostification was that the game would be painful to watch. Seeing Paulino exit after facing just five batters was painful, seeing Betancourt strike a pose as he crushed a pitch over the left field fence was painful, and watching Blackburn use close to 60 pitches in the first two innings was agonizing.

Yet in the end, the Replacements proved victorious, thanks to a two-out rally and some aggressive baserunning. Now they return home to face one of two teams with a worse record as we enter interleague play. Things are looking slightly better in Replacements Republic.

10. papalurchdxb - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Craig hit up Bar Basic before the game at Petco, or Basic Pizza as some call it – get the kids a mashed-potato and bacon pizza and yours will join mine as being Padres for life after one game (we live in Dubai and it was a flying visit) – my son remembers running the bases after the game and pizza before hand, i unfortunately remember the loss in extras to the Giants – both of us had a blast!

11. APBA Guy - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Out of the Bay Area on biz so didn’t get to see the beloved A’s last night, but marveled at the second well-pitched game against the league’s best offense, this time by Colon, who must have looked at his ERA and said “this won’t get me out of Oakland” and did something about it.

12. nbjays - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Nice to see Morrow finally coming into his own… that kid has ace stuff.

Also, I think the Dept. of Redundancy Dept. superseded the Name Checking Dept…. it’s Brennan Boesch of the Tigers, not Brendan.

13. The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Given the insane number of broadcasts I watch, I’d say the most popular phrase is “Umpires need to be held accountable.” The most recent was last night’s Cards/Astros game regarding Angel Hernandez.

BTW-I love Zack and he’ll get the big bucks but last night’s game was not a test of his awesomeness. It was the Cubs. Now, if he had pitched lefty…..

• stex52 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Hernandez was bad on strike zone for what I saw last night, but he seemed to be consistently bad. And that played into Wainwright’s hands, but that is hardly a rare occurrence with umpires in general. Pitchers usually have to adjust, and they just want the same call?

Did I miss something more egregious?

• stex52 - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Clarification. I didn’t see the whole game, so could have missed a few bad calls.

• The Rabbit - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I agree with your comment about adjusting to the “umpire’s zone” once the pitcher and hitter knows it.
        Hernandez became very inconsistent as the game progressed. Pitchers and batters couldn’t tell what the zone was from pitch to pitch. It tended to favor pitchers (well, most of the time, but who knew?) Batters had to protect everyplace and swing at stuff that was almost unreachable. These guys aren’t Vlad, BTW.
        Tougher for pitchers who want to pitch near the plate and work their game.
        It was equal opportunity inconsistency, though. It didn’t seem to favor either team.

14. natstowngreg - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

When I started reading this here blog right here, Craig’s basic attitude seemed to be to ignore the Nats’ existence. That has evolved to the Nats being irrelevant, to mediocre, to average, to much improved, to being for real. Generally, this has mirrored the team’s improvement on the field, especially against the Braves.

Edwin Jackson did his innings-eating thing last night. One of this season’s nice surprises thus far is how the quality of Edwin’s innings has improved this season. His one significant problem is an inability to execute a pickoff throw; errors on wild throws in his last couple of starts. The middle of the order, dormant the past few games, awoke. Michael Morse is back, ladies and gentlemen.

So the Nats re-establish a 2-game lead. I would mention this PM’s starters; however, given the wealth of adolescent boys on the blog (led by the chief blogger), I’m confident someone will take note.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Dude, we’ve had a team of people working on Dickey-Wang for weeks in anticipation of this.

• natstowngreg - Jun 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Knew I could count on you.

15. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Oh, not Dickey-Wang again. Aren’t there any double entendres out there for cavities?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3084)