Jun 7, 2012, 11:10 PM EDT
After thoroughly dominating major league hitters over the first two months of the season, Aroldis Chapman finally gave up his first earned run tonight against the Pirates. And it was courtesy of some unlikely contributors.
Chapman entered the game with the score tied in the 10th inning. He quickly gave up a leadoff ground-rule double to Clint Barmes, who entered tonight’s action with a miserable .188/.211/.305 batting line over his first 50 games this season. It was actually the first hit Chapman had allowed since May 17, a span of 8 2/3 innings. Then Michael McKenry, who entered play tonight with a .207/.271/.326 career batting line, punched a 99 mph fastball to the right-center field gap for another double which plated Barmes with the go-ahead run. The Pirates ended up winning the game 5-4. Baseball sure is a funny game sometimes.
Chapman previously gave up an unearned run against the Mets back on May 17, but the Cuban left-hander had a perfect 0.00 ERA through 29 innings this season until McKenry’s run-scoring double. It was the first time he had allowed an earned run in a major league game since last September 10, a span of 35 innings and 29 appearances.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)