Jun 7, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez has been equal parts injured and ineffective at Triple-A, going 9-for-37 (.243) with zero extra-base hits while missing multiple games with leg soreness.
He was eligible to return from a 50-game suspension last week, but the A’s quickly ruled that out and today general manager Billy Beane told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that … well, basically no one has any idea when Ramirez might be back in the majors:
Until he’s on the field on a regular basis and we see where he’s at from a baseball standpoint, we’re really not in a position where we’re ready to make a decision. We said from Day 1 that nothing is set in stone.
Beane went on to hint that the A’s may simply decide that Ramirez is no longer worth the trouble, admitting: “As you get deeper into the season, that is a question you’ve gotta ask yourself.”
On the other hand they can basically re-start the 30-day rehab window at any time because he’s been injured, extending his stay in the minors, and the A’s will only be on the hook for $500,000 if they do decide to promote Ramirez at some point.
Right now, though, he can’t even stay in the lineup at Triple-A, let alone beat up on Triple-A pitching.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)