Jun 7, 2012, 4:16 PM EST
Manny Ramirez has been equal parts injured and ineffective at Triple-A, going 9-for-37 (.243) with zero extra-base hits while missing multiple games with leg soreness.
He was eligible to return from a 50-game suspension last week, but the A’s quickly ruled that out and today general manager Billy Beane told Joe Stiglich of the San Jose Mercury News that … well, basically no one has any idea when Ramirez might be back in the majors:
Until he’s on the field on a regular basis and we see where he’s at from a baseball standpoint, we’re really not in a position where we’re ready to make a decision. We said from Day 1 that nothing is set in stone.
Beane went on to hint that the A’s may simply decide that Ramirez is no longer worth the trouble, admitting: “As you get deeper into the season, that is a question you’ve gotta ask yourself.”
On the other hand they can basically re-start the 30-day rehab window at any time because he’s been injured, extending his stay in the minors, and the A’s will only be on the hook for $500,000 if they do decide to promote Ramirez at some point.
Right now, though, he can’t even stay in the lineup at Triple-A, let alone beat up on Triple-A pitching.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)