Jun 7, 2012, 7:37 PM EDT
The Yankees originally hoped to have Brett Gardner available this weekend for an interleague series against the Mets. That seems unlikely to happen now, but he is moving closer to returning from a strained right elbow.
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Gardner will begin a minor league rehab assignment tomorrow with Low-A Charleston. He was originally scheduled to play yesterday, but the plan was scrapped after he experienced some soreness in his elbow. However, he was able to make it through batting practice today without any issues.
Gardner has already had a couple starts and stops with his rehab, but assuming he can avoid any further setbacks, it’s realistic he’ll be back in the Yankees’ lineup by early next week. The speedy left fielder has been sidelined since April 17.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)