Jun 7, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Last week when the Cardinals skipped Jaime Garcia‘s turn in the rotation they said it was for an elbow injury, but after he got knocked around in his return start they revealed that he was also dealing with shoulder and hip problems.
Today they placed Garcia on the disabled list and the official reason is his shoulder, which they’re calling strained for now.
To take his spot on the roster they recalled Fernando Salas from Triple-A, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will likely make another move to add a fill-in starter for Sunday.
Garcia, who signed a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension 11 months ago, had a long history of arm problems before reaching the majors, but he’s been mostly healthy since 2010 with a 3.37 ERA in 71 starts.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)