Jun 7, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Last week when the Cardinals skipped Jaime Garcia‘s turn in the rotation they said it was for an elbow injury, but after he got knocked around in his return start they revealed that he was also dealing with shoulder and hip problems.
Today they placed Garcia on the disabled list and the official reason is his shoulder, which they’re calling strained for now.
To take his spot on the roster they recalled Fernando Salas from Triple-A, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals will likely make another move to add a fill-in starter for Sunday.
Garcia, who signed a four-year, $27.5 million contract extension 11 months ago, had a long history of arm problems before reaching the majors, but he’s been mostly healthy since 2010 with a 3.37 ERA in 71 starts.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)