Jun 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Lidge has been out since mid-April following sports hernia surgery and in his absence the Nationals turned to Rodriguez and then Tyler Clippard as closer. And they’re all just filling in for the injured Drew Storen.
Lidge struggled with his command before being shut down, so he may be worked back into the late-inning mix slowly. He made just two minor-league rehab appearances, allowing one run in 1.1 innings while striking out three and walking one.
Rodriguez has been lights-out at times, but ultimately his inability to consistently throw strikes has led to a 5.14 ERA and 23/14 K/BB ratio in 21 innings.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)