Jun 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Lidge has been out since mid-April following sports hernia surgery and in his absence the Nationals turned to Rodriguez and then Tyler Clippard as closer. And they’re all just filling in for the injured Drew Storen.
Lidge struggled with his command before being shut down, so he may be worked back into the late-inning mix slowly. He made just two minor-league rehab appearances, allowing one run in 1.1 innings while striking out three and walking one.
Rodriguez has been lights-out at times, but ultimately his inability to consistently throw strikes has led to a 5.14 ERA and 23/14 K/BB ratio in 21 innings.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 4
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 39
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 79
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 9
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 66
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)