Jun 7, 2012, 1:20 PM EDT
Lidge has been out since mid-April following sports hernia surgery and in his absence the Nationals turned to Rodriguez and then Tyler Clippard as closer. And they’re all just filling in for the injured Drew Storen.
Lidge struggled with his command before being shut down, so he may be worked back into the late-inning mix slowly. He made just two minor-league rehab appearances, allowing one run in 1.1 innings while striking out three and walking one.
Rodriguez has been lights-out at times, but ultimately his inability to consistently throw strikes has led to a 5.14 ERA and 23/14 K/BB ratio in 21 innings.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (196)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)