Jun 7, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa has already agreed to a contract with the Astros and the Royals announced that No. 5 overall pick Kyle Zimmer is also under contract just three days after being drafted.
Zimmer is a right-handed starter from the University of San Francisco who many draft experts felt was neck and neck with Stanford right-hander Mark Appel and LSU right-hander Kevin Gausman as the top college arm available.
He’s a converted position player and just 20 years old, so Zimmer may not move through the minors quite as quickly as a typical college ace. MLB’s slot bonus amount for the No. 5 pick is $3.5 million, but Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Royals got Zimmer signed for $3 million.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)