Jun 7, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa has already agreed to a contract with the Astros and the Royals announced that No. 5 overall pick Kyle Zimmer is also under contract just three days after being drafted.
Zimmer is a right-handed starter from the University of San Francisco who many draft experts felt was neck and neck with Stanford right-hander Mark Appel and LSU right-hander Kevin Gausman as the top college arm available.
He’s a converted position player and just 20 years old, so Zimmer may not move through the minors quite as quickly as a typical college ace. MLB’s slot bonus amount for the No. 5 pick is $3.5 million, but Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Royals got Zimmer signed for $3 million.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)