Jun 7, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
No. 1 overall pick Carlos Correa has already agreed to a contract with the Astros and the Royals announced that No. 5 overall pick Kyle Zimmer is also under contract just three days after being drafted.
Zimmer is a right-handed starter from the University of San Francisco who many draft experts felt was neck and neck with Stanford right-hander Mark Appel and LSU right-hander Kevin Gausman as the top college arm available.
He’s a converted position player and just 20 years old, so Zimmer may not move through the minors quite as quickly as a typical college ace. MLB’s slot bonus amount for the No. 5 pick is $3.5 million, but Jim Callis of Baseball America reports that the Royals got Zimmer signed for $3 million.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 47
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (246)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (97)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)