Scott Hatteberg is going to do some A’s broadcasts

Jun 7, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT

Rangers v Athletics Getty Images

Scott Hatteberg already works for the A’s, but now he’s going to be further out front, doing some TV too:

Scott Hatteberg, the former A’s first baseman featured prominently in the book and movie “Moneyball,” will replace Ray Fosse for 20 games as the team’s analyst on CSN California, with his first stint starting June 15, according to multiple sources … Hatteberg, reached by phone, said, “I’m excited to do it. I’ve never done it before, though, so I’m not sure how well I’ll do.”

I’m guessing the conversation convincing him to do it went like so:

Scott Hatteberg: [Responding to being asked to to do broadcasts] I’ve only ever been a front office guy.
Billy Beane: It’s not that hard, Scott. Tell him, Wash.
Ron Washington: It’s incredibly hard.

1. bsbiz - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM

He’s a bit over-rated. Luke Stowe would be better.

2. franklb - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM

That would be the money(ball) quote, Craig. Nicely done.

3. emeraldcityfan - Jun 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Go Cougs!

4. alexo0 - Jun 7, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I guess he needs something to do with Parks and Recreation being done for the summer.

5. teamobijuan - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

So he was a lefty? And pre-Billy Beane, he played catcher? How many lefty catchers are there?

• teamobijuan - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Nevermind, I see he threw right.

6. js20011041 - Jun 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Did anyone else find it funny that one of the main story lines in the movie was Beane forcing Art Howe to play Hatteberg over Carlos Pena? I know Pena wasn’t yet an all star caliber player, but he became a sabermetric dream. Nothing but walks and homeruns with some great defense thrown in. I haven’t read the book in a while, but was there any rationale for that? Hatteberg just seems like the typical A’s hitter that they have desired over the last decade or so. All walks and nothing else.

• butchhuskey - Jun 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM

The movie was enjoyable but it greatly oversimplified the book. There is a chapter in Moneyball about Scott Hatteberg’s conversion to first base called “Scott Hatteberg: Pickin’ Machine” but the whole “Hatty needs to play over Pena!” thing wasn’t really a subject of focus for Michael Lewis.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

It wouldn’t be the first time the A’s turn his career a corner. Good luck, Scott!

8. trumpet87 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM