Tickets for Johan Santana’s no-hitter are selling for more than future Mets game tickets

Jun 7, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT

Johan Santana Reuters Reuters

Ever since the Marlins did that thing where they sold the un-sold tickets to Roy Halladay‘s no-hitter a couple of years ago, there has been a market for such beasts following historic events. Maybe there was before, actually, but that’s when we really started hearing about it. I dunno.

But whatever the case, people are buying and selling tickets to Johan Santana’s no-hitter from last Friday. And the price is not cheap considering that tens of thousands of these things theoretically exist:

The Mets first no-hitter is going for 146 percent more then stubs for Halladay’s second ever post season no-hitter. Currently, there are over 50 stubs for Johan’s no-hitter on eBay, some with a buy-it-now price of well over $200. Our average of $182 is 119 percent higher than the average price for Mets tickets in 2012. Currently, the top priced game of the year are June 23rd vs. Yankees, which is selling for $166, or 8 percent below a Johan stub. As a point of comparison, Halladay’s post-season no-hitter sold for 42 percent less than the average game ticket, and just 20 percent higher than the Phillies $62 2010 regular season average.

Does that mean that buying a memory is worth more than seeing an actual game?  Given how memorabilia works I suppose it does and I suppose it’s not uncommon.  But then again, I’ve always had a blind spot when it comes to memorabilia.

1. danielponce - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

perfect game*

• 4letterman - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Sorry, it was a no hitter. Big difference

• chill1184 - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Shhhhh logic isn’t accepted by the trolls of HBT.

2. sdelmonte - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

People are buying in case time travel is perfected, clearly.

3. hasbeen5 - Jun 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I don’t think I’d want a ticket to a game I didn’t attend.

4. Old Gator - Jun 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Are the ones with the asterisks on them worth any more than the ones without?

5. euie48 - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Umpire-assisted no-hitter tickets should be worthless…

6. steelymcbeam6 - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

If they call johans a no hitter when it wasnt then why not call gallaragas a perfect game when it was?

7. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I am surprised that tickets to Johan’s CG one-hitter are being sold for so much. I guess because it is the MY Mutts and they haven’t had anything else to really celebrate in what, like 26 years, they are going gaga over it. Oh well…to each his or her own.

8. sheanjett - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I got my ticket stub from going Not eBay

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4930)