Jun 7, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Marlins did that thing where they sold the un-sold tickets to Roy Halladay‘s no-hitter a couple of years ago, there has been a market for such beasts following historic events. Maybe there was before, actually, but that’s when we really started hearing about it. I dunno.
But whatever the case, people are buying and selling tickets to Johan Santana’s no-hitter from last Friday. And the price is not cheap considering that tens of thousands of these things theoretically exist:
The Mets first no-hitter is going for 146 percent more then stubs for Halladay’s second ever post season no-hitter. Currently, there are over 50 stubs for Johan’s no-hitter on eBay, some with a buy-it-now price of well over $200. Our average of $182 is 119 percent higher than the average price for Mets tickets in 2012. Currently, the top priced game of the year are June 23rd vs. Yankees, which is selling for $166, or 8 percent below a Johan stub. As a point of comparison, Halladay’s post-season no-hitter sold for 42 percent less than the average game ticket, and just 20 percent higher than the Phillies $62 2010 regular season average.
Does that mean that buying a memory is worth more than seeing an actual game? Given how memorabilia works I suppose it does and I suppose it’s not uncommon. But then again, I’ve always had a blind spot when it comes to memorabilia.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)