Jun 7, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Marlins did that thing where they sold the un-sold tickets to Roy Halladay‘s no-hitter a couple of years ago, there has been a market for such beasts following historic events. Maybe there was before, actually, but that’s when we really started hearing about it. I dunno.
But whatever the case, people are buying and selling tickets to Johan Santana’s no-hitter from last Friday. And the price is not cheap considering that tens of thousands of these things theoretically exist:
The Mets first no-hitter is going for 146 percent more then stubs for Halladay’s second ever post season no-hitter. Currently, there are over 50 stubs for Johan’s no-hitter on eBay, some with a buy-it-now price of well over $200. Our average of $182 is 119 percent higher than the average price for Mets tickets in 2012. Currently, the top priced game of the year are June 23rd vs. Yankees, which is selling for $166, or 8 percent below a Johan stub. As a point of comparison, Halladay’s post-season no-hitter sold for 42 percent less than the average game ticket, and just 20 percent higher than the Phillies $62 2010 regular season average.
Does that mean that buying a memory is worth more than seeing an actual game? Given how memorabilia works I suppose it does and I suppose it’s not uncommon. But then again, I’ve always had a blind spot when it comes to memorabilia.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)