Jun 7, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Ever since the Marlins did that thing where they sold the un-sold tickets to Roy Halladay‘s no-hitter a couple of years ago, there has been a market for such beasts following historic events. Maybe there was before, actually, but that’s when we really started hearing about it. I dunno.
But whatever the case, people are buying and selling tickets to Johan Santana’s no-hitter from last Friday. And the price is not cheap considering that tens of thousands of these things theoretically exist:
The Mets first no-hitter is going for 146 percent more then stubs for Halladay’s second ever post season no-hitter. Currently, there are over 50 stubs for Johan’s no-hitter on eBay, some with a buy-it-now price of well over $200. Our average of $182 is 119 percent higher than the average price for Mets tickets in 2012. Currently, the top priced game of the year are June 23rd vs. Yankees, which is selling for $166, or 8 percent below a Johan stub. As a point of comparison, Halladay’s post-season no-hitter sold for 42 percent less than the average game ticket, and just 20 percent higher than the Phillies $62 2010 regular season average.
Does that mean that buying a memory is worth more than seeing an actual game? Given how memorabilia works I suppose it does and I suppose it’s not uncommon. But then again, I’ve always had a blind spot when it comes to memorabilia.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)