Jun 8, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
A lot of ballplayers retire comfortably in sunny California. Some, the Securities and Exchange Commission believe, may be retiring too comfortably:
An ongoing insider trading investigation by U.S. prosecutors in Los Angeles is focusing on a retired, well-known baseball player and several other former athletes whose names have not yet been disclosed, said two people familiar with the situation.
The former athletes under scrutiny – mainly a group of professional baseball players – are allegedly part of what one U.S. investigatory government official described as “a loose federation of people” sharing important market-moving information about various companies before it becomes public.
Last year former Orioles third baseman Doug DeCinces got popped for $2.5 million for trading on an inside tip. I grew up with the guy, but I’m not sure that I’d call him a “well-known” baseball player, so it’s likely a bigger name than that.
Wouldn’t it blow your mind if it was Canseco? And he was playing crazy in order to hide the fact that he was masterminding a sophisticated insider trading ring? That would be pretty cool.
(thanks to Dennis T. for the heads up)
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)