Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The Oakland Athletics designated Kila Ka’aihue for assignment before yesterday’s game and called up Brandon Moss. Oakland A’s players told Susan Slusser, however, that they weren’t happy with the timing of the move. Why? Because Ka’aihue’s wife is due to give birth to twins any day:
“Everyone is in shock,” one player said.
“Total horse” manure, said another.
I suppose that sucks. But it’s also the case that if they had waited a week or even a month then the story would have been “A’s DFA Ka’aihue right after his twins were born!” It’s not possible for there to be good timing for this.
It’s also worth noting that Ka’aihue has never played more than 52 games or had more than 180 major league at bats in a season, so when he and the missus set out to start their family, it probably wasn’t reasonable for him to expect that he was going to spend six months in the majors.
Now, we can argue over whether Brandon Moss is actually an upgrade, but twins on the way has no bearing on that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)