Jun 8, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
The Oakland Athletics designated Kila Ka’aihue for assignment before yesterday’s game and called up Brandon Moss. Oakland A’s players told Susan Slusser, however, that they weren’t happy with the timing of the move. Why? Because Ka’aihue’s wife is due to give birth to twins any day:
“Everyone is in shock,” one player said.
“Total horse” manure, said another.
I suppose that sucks. But it’s also the case that if they had waited a week or even a month then the story would have been “A’s DFA Ka’aihue right after his twins were born!” It’s not possible for there to be good timing for this.
It’s also worth noting that Ka’aihue has never played more than 52 games or had more than 180 major league at bats in a season, so when he and the missus set out to start their family, it probably wasn’t reasonable for him to expect that he was going to spend six months in the majors.
Now, we can argue over whether Brandon Moss is actually an upgrade, but twins on the way has no bearing on that.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)