Jun 8, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
We haven’t heard much about Carl Crawford‘s status lately, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox left fielder will begin a throwing program today as he works toward a comeback from wrist surgery and a partially torn elbow ligament.
Crawford told Abraham that his surgically repaired wrist is “pretty much 100 percent at this point.” However, the elbow injury that popped up in April remains an issue six weeks after Crawford received a platelet-rich plasma injection as part of his treatment.
Abraham reports that Crawford has been hitting and running this whole time, so once his elbow is strong enough to throw regularly he could be cleared to rejoin the Red Sox relatively quickly. Of course, right now there’s no timetable for that happening and he hasn’t even played catch yet.
It’s hard to remember now, but once upon a time Crawford and the Red Sox were hopeful that he could return from the wrist surgery in time to be in the Opening Day lineup. At this point it seems likely that he’ll miss half the season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)