Jun 8, 2012, 12:16 PM EST
We haven’t heard much about Carl Crawford‘s status lately, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox left fielder will begin a throwing program today as he works toward a comeback from wrist surgery and a partially torn elbow ligament.
Crawford told Abraham that his surgically repaired wrist is “pretty much 100 percent at this point.” However, the elbow injury that popped up in April remains an issue six weeks after Crawford received a platelet-rich plasma injection as part of his treatment.
Abraham reports that Crawford has been hitting and running this whole time, so once his elbow is strong enough to throw regularly he could be cleared to rejoin the Red Sox relatively quickly. Of course, right now there’s no timetable for that happening and he hasn’t even played catch yet.
It’s hard to remember now, but once upon a time Crawford and the Red Sox were hopeful that he could return from the wrist surgery in time to be in the Opening Day lineup. At this point it seems likely that he’ll miss half the season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)