Jun 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
The verdict is in on Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia.
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, the young left-hander was diagnosed with a shoulder impingement Friday after paying a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California. Surgery is not being discussed as an option, but Garcia will be shut down for at least the next four weeks to allow the injury to heal.
Garcia is also expected to meet with Dr. James Andrews at some point in the near future, but the Cardinals seem pretty confident that they’ve nailed down the problem. Now it’s about getting the talented southpaw rested and right.
Joe Kelly will fill St. Louis’ vacant rotation spot on Sunday afternoon against the Indians. Garcia was sporting a 4.48 ERA, 1.46 WHIP and 51/19 K/BB ratio in 66 1/3 innings before landing on the 15-day disabled list.
UPDATE, 11:04 PM: Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Friday’s testing “discovered tearing within Garcia’s rotator cuff and his labrum.” Which sounds pretty friggin’ serious.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 20
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 5
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 13
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games