Jun 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
The verdict is in on Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia.
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, the young left-hander was diagnosed with a shoulder impingement Friday after paying a visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum in California. Surgery is not being discussed as an option, but Garcia will be shut down for at least the next four weeks to allow the injury to heal.
Garcia is also expected to meet with Dr. James Andrews at some point in the near future, but the Cardinals seem pretty confident that they’ve nailed down the problem. Now it’s about getting the talented southpaw rested and right.
Joe Kelly will fill St. Louis’ vacant rotation spot on Sunday afternoon against the Indians. Garcia was sporting a 4.48 ERA, 1.46 WHIP and 51/19 K/BB ratio in 66 1/3 innings before landing on the 15-day disabled list.
UPDATE, 11:04 PM: Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Friday’s testing “discovered tearing within Garcia’s rotator cuff and his labrum.” Which sounds pretty friggin’ serious.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)