Jun 8, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
It’s never good news when an injured pitcher schedules a visit with Dr. James Andrews or Dr. Lewis Yocum, but what about when an injured pitcher schedules visits with both of them?
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Jaime Garcia will do just that after the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list yesterday with a strained shoulder. He’s also been dealing with elbow and hip problems recently, leading to skipping a turn in the rotation last week before returning with a rough outing Tuesday versus the Astros.
For now general manager John Mozeliak has said that surgery “is not on the table” but obviously that doesn’t mean much until Andrews and Yocum take a look.
Garcia has been mostly healthy since joining the Cardinals’ rotation in 2010, making 72 starts with a 3.40 ERA to earn a four-year, $27 million contract extension about 11 months ago, but he had a long history of arm problems in the minors.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)