Jun 8, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
It’s never good news when an injured pitcher schedules a visit with Dr. James Andrews or Dr. Lewis Yocum, but what about when an injured pitcher schedules visits with both of them?
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Jaime Garcia will do just that after the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list yesterday with a strained shoulder. He’s also been dealing with elbow and hip problems recently, leading to skipping a turn in the rotation last week before returning with a rough outing Tuesday versus the Astros.
For now general manager John Mozeliak has said that surgery “is not on the table” but obviously that doesn’t mean much until Andrews and Yocum take a look.
Garcia has been mostly healthy since joining the Cardinals’ rotation in 2010, making 72 starts with a 3.40 ERA to earn a four-year, $27 million contract extension about 11 months ago, but he had a long history of arm problems in the minors.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)