Jamey Carroll’s hand is kinda gross, but he plays the game the right way

Jun 8, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Minnesota Twins v Cleveland Indians Getty Images

The biggest reason to click this link is to see a picture and video of Jamey Carroll‘s hand, which is totally gnarled, mangled and gross from a decade of playing the infield.

The second biggest is to ask yourself why it is that no one ever writes stories like this about non-white, non-short, non-scrappy utility players:**

“He’s one of a kind,” Dozier said. “You can throw tools out the window, anything physical — he plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played. I think a lot of times these days you see a lot of people not doing that.”

His offense hasn’t been shabby, either.

Carroll has his lowest OPS of his career at the moment, but I’m sure he’s doing it the right way.

**UPDATE: I stand corrected. Reader nobody78 did some Googling and it seems that some people do write such stories about non-white players from time to time: Miguel CairoJerry Hairston, Angel PaganMarlon Byrd.

1. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

what’s the point of bring race into the article?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Think I was pretty clear about it. Find me an example of someone doing an article about a decent but not spectacular utility guy who can’t really hit being given glowing praise for “playing the game the right way.” I can’t ever remember one.

• pacific123ocean - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Craig,

If you feel that way, then write the article. We are just fans, you are the one with a platform to write that type of article. Instead of questioning us……go do the research and write the story. It’s not like baseball fans won’t read a story about a scrappy Dominican, Mexican, Puerto Rican ballplayer, you need to write it for us to read.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I don’t cover ballplayers on a day to day basis and don’t have the kinds of relationships with them that writers who are assigned to teams do.

Which, I would venture a guess, is why we hear stories about scrappy players who play the game the right way: it’s about personal or professional relationships more than it’s about baseball analysis.

• kopy - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I would venture that Dozier says Carroll “plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played” because Carroll 5 years older than any other player on the roster, has been in MLB for 10 years, and plays the same position as Dozier. Race is a non-issue.

Instead of asking if there are any similar articles about non-white players, ask if this particular article gets written if Carroll isn’t white. I’d wager it does. There have been plenty of “Span looks up to Torii Hunter” stories in Minnesota.

• davidpom50 - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the point Craig is trying to make is that there should be more articles about small, mediocre-or-worse utility players. I think he’s just pointing out that whenever such hacky schlock is written, it’s almost always about a white dude like Carroll or David Eckstein.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

And DavidPom is the winner, while many thumbs down had it go completely over their collective heads.

So many completely missed the point in his words in a rush to be PC.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

So many completely missed the point in his words in a rush to be PC.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM

For the record, I don’t want to read an article by Craig or anyone else about stupid shit like “scrappiness” or “playing the game the right way.” I’d like to read smart stuff and feel smart. That’s all. Keep your piss and nostalgia for the old coots.

• cosanostra71 - Jun 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

race baiting = more clicks = more ad revenue. Can’t argue I guess.

2. marshmallowsnake - Jun 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

My right hand’s middle finger looks a lot like his. I took a ball right off of it… damn thing will never heal :(

• Gamera the Brave - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

So does mine, but it’s from repetitive obscene gestures while driving…

3. lucassteele - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Luis Sojo… I would say he is “non-white.”

4. nategearhart - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Every damn year at least one article is written about how there’s ONE (1) guy in all of baseball who plays the game the way it should be played “these days”. I swear I don’t understand why some of these writers even watch baseball, since they loathe those playing it so much.
    Baseball, much like Christmas, The Simpsons, and boobies, can never be as magical as when we were first exposed to it in our halcyon days of youth. But that doesn’t mean there’s a damn thing wrong with it now. Give me a team of nine Carlos Beltrans vintage 2007 and I’ll whoop up on the whole league and enjoy the hell out of watching the athletic glory.

• pharmerbrown - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I definintely agree with your assessment of Christman losing luster due to age. The Simpsons dan out of storylines a long time ago. And the BBWAA would have to concur with your assessment of baseball, since taking a little HGH keep you out of the hall while popping greenies and beating up fans in the stands are benchmarks of great players.

But boobies? I have to disagree. Like Ron White said “And the fellas have to agree with me that if you’ve seen one set… (drags cigarette) you want to see the rest of ‘em”

5. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

still not getting why it matters what color/race the guy is.

• nategearhart - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

It shouldn’t matter. Craig is saying no one ever, ever writes these kind of stories about non-white ballplayers.

6. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Then he doesn’t have that good of a memory. Writers wrote about Griffey Jr and Frank Thomas during thief playing time. That’s just two “non-white” players.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I said stories about “decent but not spectacular” players. Anyone can write a glowing story about a superstar. I want to know of non-white players of Carroll’s quality who get the “scrappy” or “intangibles” or “plays the game the right way” treatment.

• theawesomersfranchise - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Did you seriously just use Thomas and Griffey as examples?
      I have a whole bunch of straws you can have, no need for grasping

7. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM

8. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM

There’s a link to an article entiled Griffey plays the game the right way.

9. kranepool - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

How dare you Jamey Carroll being born Caucasian

10. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Here’s a link to one about Jeter.

Writers write these all the time. Gammons does this often.

• pharmerbrown - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

(hoping that was an attempt a a sick burn)

11. papalurchdxb - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

that’s pretty grim – throw in a dose of arthritis in a few years, winner!

12. hisgirlgotburrelled - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

“A lot of times these days you see a lot of people not doing that.”

Totally disagree. Just had an article on here yesterday about a 19 year old doing it… and i see players literally every single night “playing the game the right way.”

13. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Well I only remeber the ones about the great players then. I’m sure it is written a bunch by team beat writers n u just didn’t do much research if any before u wrote GE art

14. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

you wrote the article.

15. illcomm - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I rarely pay any attention to race unless someone points it out. You should care less about race Craig. Also you imply that this is written about non great white guys all the time. Where the evidence of that or are you just spurting out non factual based stories again based on your own ignorance of not doing your homework.

16. nobody78 - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Here are a few.

Miguel Cairo:

Jerry Hairston:

Angel Pagan:

Marlon Byrd:

I just googled a few guys who seemed to me to satisfy your conditions. Articles like these are not very hard to find.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Thanks. Nice to see.

17. Gamera the Brave - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Great, issue resolved!
    Now, world peace – discuss!

18. skids003 - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Why did you delete my comment, Craig? The truth hurt?

Is it you or does MSNBC require a quota of race baiting articles per week?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I did not delete any comments in this thread. If you posted one and it’s not here, it could have been caught by a spam filter (if it has multiple links that sometimes happens, though it gets sent to us for moderation later).

I do not delete comments at all unless they violate our posting rules, which relate solely to racist, misogynistic, homophobic or other such things. Comments are never deleted simply because they disagree with any particular point of view.

19. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM

This is the most unpopular I’ve seen Craig, ever.

• kopy - Jun 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I’m guessing you’re not a high school classmate of his?

20. paulsdamnblog - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

That guy has one ugly @$$ paw on him, I’m impressed. However I was also impressed when I met batboy.

21. raindog - Jun 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I would say Jamey Carroll does play the game the right way. He’s about as fundamentally sound as you can be at SS, 3B, and 2B. Now, he’s not all that talented, and he isn’t a great player. But he does “play the game the right way”, and I find that commendable.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3117)