Jun 8, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
It’s not quite an out of nowhere power explosion like Jose Bautista in 2010 or even Jacoby Ellsbury last season, but Braves center fielder Michael Bourn has already set a new career-high for homers in a season.
Bourn went deep yesterday for the sixth time in 57 games. His previous career-high was five homers, set in 2008 when he played 138 games. And in the three seasons since then Bourn had a total of seven homers in 456 games. In other words he’s never shown this type of power before, even in the minors.
And here’s the craziest part: All six of his homers have come in the last 24 games. Bourn had zero homers on May 11. Fast forward a month and suddenly he’s on pace for 17 homers after coming into the season with a grand total of 13 homers in 716 games and 2,663 plate appearances.
Along with adding significant thump at age 29 the impending free agent is also hitting a career-high .305 with a career-high .354 on-base percentage. He’s cut back some on the bases, stealing “only” 15 bags after leading the league in steals during each of the past three seasons, but if Bourn can maintain most of this new-found offensive production he doesn’t need to rely on his legs so much to provide value.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)