Jun 8, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Johan Santana, a year removed from major shoulder surgery, hit his all-time high in pitches last week while no-hitting the Cardinals. While he was given a couple of extra days of rest in the wake of that, he will not be on a lower-than-normal pitch count tonight, says Terry Collins.
Biggest reason: the team was impressed with his most recent bullpen session and with how he says he feels. That said, I imagine Terry Collins is hoping that the Mets are up 12-0 after five innings and he can pull Santana after, like, 65 pitches.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 86
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)