Jun 8, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Johan Santana, a year removed from major shoulder surgery, hit his all-time high in pitches last week while no-hitting the Cardinals. While he was given a couple of extra days of rest in the wake of that, he will not be on a lower-than-normal pitch count tonight, says Terry Collins.
Biggest reason: the team was impressed with his most recent bullpen session and with how he says he feels. That said, I imagine Terry Collins is hoping that the Mets are up 12-0 after five innings and he can pull Santana after, like, 65 pitches.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45