Jun 8, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Scott Rolen has had so many shoulder problems over the years that the Reds placing him on the disabled list last month led to speculation that he might be finished.
Rolen even had doubts about playing again, which were echoed by manager Dusty Baker, but for now at least he’s giving it a go.
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Rolen took batting practice and fielded ground balls on back-to-back days for the first time since being shut down on May 12. And afterward Rolen said he “felt good” and is “ready to go out and do it again and progress this way.”
Of course, he also admitted that there’s still “no timeline” for his return and with rookie Todd Frazier sporting a .900 OPS as the primary third baseman the Reds have no reason to push the 37-year-old.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)