Terry Collins learned his lesson

Jun 8, 2012, 2:33 PM EDT

Terry Collins AP

Good feature by Ken Rosenthal on Mets manager Terry Collins. The man who once had his clubhouse revolt against him and petition the GM to have him fired — the 1999 Angels were awesome! — is now a different kind of dude, who is well aware of his past faults:

“I was not good. I did the ‘Woe-is-me’ stuff,” Collins said. “We were just trying to plug up holes instead of really saying, ‘Look, we’ve got to grind this out. We’re supposed to win.’ I let it affect the way I went about things. The clubhouse issues arose — and probably rightly so … Because of my past and where I am right now, age-wise, career-wise, I was surprised I was even asked to be interviewed. But I said, ‘If I get this, I’m going to enjoy it more. I’m going to enjoy the job.”

It’s always easier to be more relaxed when expectations are low, as they were for the Mets these past two years, and it’s always easier to be positive when things go well, as they are at the moment for the Mets, than when they go poorly. So it remains to be seen what Collins will do when he’s managing a team with expectations which fails to meet them.  But the fact that he can be so self-aware about his past failures suggests that Collins truly is a different dude now than he was back in the day.

1. theawesomersfranchise - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Is it too late for the Reds to petition Dusty Baker’s firing, in hopes he will become a better manager?
    I know they are in 1st place, but I swear if there was a WAR for managers Dusty would be -3.0 yearly.

2. sdelmonte - Jun 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Not that baseball and that sport with the oval ball are the same, but fans of the Giants oval ball team saw some similar with Tom Coughlin (same initials). He faced player revolt, and while he wasn’t fired, he also faced facts and reinvented himself to be more in tune with the times. With two Super Bowl rings to show for it. I don’t expect the same level of result from a Mets team that just doesn’t have the horses, but I can at least hope that this TC will match that TC in terms of getting the job done well.

3. papasadappa - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I initially wanted Bob Melvin to get the Mets manager job but Terry has done a great job..I think his time managing player development for the Mets gave him an edge in working with the current squad of AAA talent he has. I also really like the “no excuses”attitude he brings. Rather than waiting for injured reinforcements to hopefully get better arrive like Jerry Manuel he pushed the players he has to overachieve.

4. Old Gator - Jun 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Change is good. It’s worth noting that in his book Anywhere I Wind Up, El Dickey says that Terry Collins is a great leader he would willingly follow through a brick wall. Given the source, you have to take that kind of an endorsement seriously.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jun 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Or it means he knows the right things to say when he isn’t calling out guys who aren’t late to camp for being late to camp.

Sorry, but I don’t put rose-colored glasses on so easily.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet