Jun 9, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Fernando Martinez just can’t catch a break.
The injury-prone former top prospect has received semi-regular playing time in right field since joining the Astros last weekend, but Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that he’s now headed to the 7-day disabled list with post-concussion syndrome.
It’s not clear when Martinez hurt himself, but he’ll need to pass a concussion test before resuming baseball activities. Matt Downs has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take his place on the active roster.
While it’s an unfortunate turn of events for Martinez, he hasn’t exactly been tearing things up since his promotion. The 23-year-old outfielder is just 1-for-15 with nine strikeouts.
UPDATE: Levine writes that the origin of Martinez’s concussion was likely a hit-by-pitch when he was still in Triple-A. Astros manager Brad Mills believes his condition may have been aggravated when he dove for a ball.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (78)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful