Jun 9, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Fernando Martinez just can’t catch a break.
The injury-prone former top prospect has received semi-regular playing time in right field since joining the Astros last weekend, but Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that he’s now headed to the 7-day disabled list with post-concussion syndrome.
It’s not clear when Martinez hurt himself, but he’ll need to pass a concussion test before resuming baseball activities. Matt Downs has been recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City to take his place on the active roster.
While it’s an unfortunate turn of events for Martinez, he hasn’t exactly been tearing things up since his promotion. The 23-year-old outfielder is just 1-for-15 with nine strikeouts.
UPDATE: Levine writes that the origin of Martinez’s concussion was likely a hit-by-pitch when he was still in Triple-A. Astros manager Brad Mills believes his condition may have been aggravated when he dove for a ball.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)