Chris Sale throws eight shutout innings, lowers ERA to 2.05

Jun 9, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT

chris sale getty Getty Images

We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: White Sox starter Chris Sale needs his own video game.

The lanky left-hander threw eight innings of shutout ball on Saturday afternoon against the Astros, striking out seven and walking none as the Pale Hose rolled to a 10-1 victory. He now has a 0.92 WHIP, 76/18 K/BB ratio and an American League-best 2.05 ERA through 74 2/3 frames this season.

Adam Dunn hit a grand slam in the blowout win and Gordon Beckham contributed three runs batted in.

Sale has surrendered just three earned runs, fanned 36 batters and issued only six free passes in his last 31 1/3 innings of work. It’s crazy to think the White Sox had him in the bullpen at one point, and his success as a starter should be a message for the Reds and their own lanky southpaw (Aroldis Chapman).

For postgame reaction, including videos, check out WhiteSoxTalk at CSNChicago.com.

1. randygnyc - Jun 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This kid has an opportunity to be great. He’s going to get bigger and stronger. He’ll learn how to really pitch, not just throw. He’s left handed and throws really hard. The white sox struck gold with him in the draft.

2. bestcoastinfluence - Jun 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Wow! He has been lights out lately. Crazy to watch.

3. kiwicricket - Jun 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Will he be shut down at any point this season? He will have an innings limit I imagine, interesting to see how the Sox manage him later in the season.

• kiwicricket - Jun 9, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Same goes for Lynn, who has been really good starting for the banged up Card’s.

4. kappy32 - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:10 AM

I saw him coming this year & thought he would be good moving to the rotation, but WOW. I’m not a White Sox fan, but when I heard he was moving to the rotation, I thought we were going to be seeing the beginning of a very good career as a starter. However, I did not expect him to be this damn good. Sake has been lights out across the board. Since Ventura tried to move him back to the pen, Sale sent him a loud message stating, “Don’t f*ck with me!” I drafted Sale in all of my fantasy leagues this year & got him in the 9th round, 11th round & 14th round respectively. Talking about a friggen steal.

• kappy32 - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:12 AM

And don’t thumbs down my comment because you guys didn’t have the foresight to see that this guy was going to be a special SP as I did & lost him as a FA to some other team. Some of us are just meant to win in fantasy sports, while many others are destined to fail. I fall in the former category & the haters fall into the latter.

• baseballisboring - Jun 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

You’re getting thumbsed down cause NO ONE cares about your fantasy team. And we all know you got lucky anyway.

• captainwisdom8888 - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

i got him in the 23rd round. as well as gio gonzalez in the 11th. i dont care how incredible sale is doing, drafting him in the 9th round is ludicrous…..nostradamus

5. gmsingh - Jun 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Is it too soon to say he looks like a young Randy Johnson.

6. fhuizar - Jun 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

White sox will be irrelevant

7. buffalo65 - Jun 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Kappy you are my hero. Imagine, winning at fantasy. Your life must be now complete.
    I too am interested to see how Sale is handled for the rest of the year since his elbow has already barked once.

Yet another WS run for the Giants