Jun 9, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Daniel Bard was demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket this week after posting a 5.24 ERA, a league-leading eight hit batsmen and a 34/37 K/BB ratio over 55 innings. His first appearance in the minors suggests that a return to the Red Sox is not imminent.
According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, Bard allowed three runs in one inning last night against the Pirates’ Triple-A affiliate. While he struck out two, he also gave up two hits and hit two batters. He threw 16 out of 25 pitches for strikes and topped out at 96 mph on his fastball.
While Bard started the game, he was only scheduled to pitch one inning and he was more focused on his mechanics than the results.
“The best thing about throwing down here is you can kind of ignore the results and not worry about wins and losses as much,” Bard said. “[I was] trying some tweaks mechanically, and I think it was really good on some pitches — and that’s what I was looking for, to get that feel. I didn’t expect it to be perfect on every pitch. The pitches it felt good on did what they were supposed to and went where they were supposed to [go].”
Bard won’t have to wait long to put last night’s outing behind him. He’s scheduled to make his next appearance Monday, likely throwing two innings. It hasn’t been decided whether he’ll start the game or come out of the bullpen.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)