Jun 9, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Daniel Bard was demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket this week after posting a 5.24 ERA, a league-leading eight hit batsmen and a 34/37 K/BB ratio over 55 innings. His first appearance in the minors suggests that a return to the Red Sox is not imminent.
According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, Bard allowed three runs in one inning last night against the Pirates’ Triple-A affiliate. While he struck out two, he also gave up two hits and hit two batters. He threw 16 out of 25 pitches for strikes and topped out at 96 mph on his fastball.
While Bard started the game, he was only scheduled to pitch one inning and he was more focused on his mechanics than the results.
“The best thing about throwing down here is you can kind of ignore the results and not worry about wins and losses as much,” Bard said. “[I was] trying some tweaks mechanically, and I think it was really good on some pitches — and that’s what I was looking for, to get that feel. I didn’t expect it to be perfect on every pitch. The pitches it felt good on did what they were supposed to and went where they were supposed to [go].”
Bard won’t have to wait long to put last night’s outing behind him. He’s scheduled to make his next appearance Monday, likely throwing two innings. It hasn’t been decided whether he’ll start the game or come out of the bullpen.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)