Jun 9, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
According to Phil Mackey of 1500ESPN.com, Joe Mauer is back in the Twins’ starting lineup this afternoon against the Cubs. He’ll catch left-hander Scott Diamond and bat third against right-hander Jeff Samardzija.
Mauer has missed the last four games with a sprained right thumb, but it was never a major concern. He made it through batting practice yesterday with no issues.
Injuries and illness limited Mauer to just 82 games last year, but he has played in 52 of the Twins’ 56 games this season. The 29-year-old backstop is hitting .298/.407/.419 with three home runs, 25 RBI and an .826 OPS through 226 plate appearances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)