Jun 9, 2012, 4:22 PM EDT
Jake Arrieta got the nod as the Orioles’ Opening Day starter this year, but now he’s bullpen-bound.
The Orioles made the decision after Arrieta gave up a career-high nine runs over four innings in a loss to the Phillies last night. There was talk about sending him down to Triple-A Norfolk, but the O’s want him to work through his struggles at the major league level. At least for now.
Arrieta has only made one relief appearance in pro ball, but he told Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun that he’s on board with the plan.
“I think it’s going to allow me to get a lot of the thoughts and emotions out of my head and when I come into the game just pitch,” Arrieta said shortly after finding out about the move. “My thought process has been way too in depth, and I’ve got way too much going on in my head right now to tweak so many things mechanically rather than going out there and feeling comfortable and executing pitches. That’s what I’m going to be able to do out of the bullpen.”
Arrieta opened this season with a 2.66 ERA across his first three starts, but he has an unsightly 7.71 over his last 10 starts and has lost six straight decisions dating back to May 2. While his velocity is up this year and his peripheral numbers have improved, he has allowed more runs than any pitcher in baseball. His unusually low 56.3 percent strand rate is a big reason for that, but that he’s given up line drives 24 percent of the time suggests opposing batters haven’t had much trouble squaring him up.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)